Recipe Idea: Chicken, Squash and Barley Casserole
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I had some left-over grilled chicken breasts and a butternut squash. After looking through several cookbooks, I decided to combine the concepts of several recipes into a casserole that used both ingredients. I love whole-grain pearled barley; it’s so chewy and delicious. So I combined all these ingredients, along with a few “standard” items (onion, garlic, broth) into a flavorful casserole. The result was delightful and filling!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups barley, cooked
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed and roasted
- 2 chicken breasts (about 12 ounces), grilled and diced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup craisins
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until transparent.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients, warm for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- Serve hot.[br] [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]