RECIPE IDEA: Crockpot Maple Baked Beans
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about Crockpot Maple Baked Beans. There’s no need to heat up the kitchen to make excellent baked beans. Just use your slow cooker for the intense flavors of baked beans.
I couldn’t find Momma Betty’s (Don’s mom’s) baked beans recipe (and you know that Southern woman had a good one!) and Don’s handwritten recipe didn’t excite me. This recipe was inspired by Robin Robertson’s version found in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I found a ham bone in my freezer yesterday, so I added it to the pot.
Yowza! The Crockpot Maple Baked Beans turned out great. When Don saw what was cooking, he asked, “Did you add some molasses?” He was surprised that the recipe didn’t call for molasses, but when he took a bite, he said, “Mmmmmmm. These are good!”
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 (15 oz) cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 ham bone with bits of meat
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and then sauté the onions until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a 6-quart slow cooker (crockpot).
- Add the beans, syrup, mustard, salt, pepper, tomato paste and water.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Add the ham bone.
- Cover pot and cook on low for 6 hours.