Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake is SO good, when you do one little trick to make it have the right texture.
I’ve tried making Pineapple Upside Down Cake with gluten free flour and been disappointed…until NOW. I used a little trick that I learned in a gluten free baking class a few years ago. And it worked perfectly. You’re gonna love this GF Pineapple Cake.
What’s the Trick?
When you have finished making the cake batter, you gently fold in stiffly whipped egg whites. It adds just the right amount of air to lighten the cake and give it the right texture. Most people would never guess this is a gluten free cake. But tell them because then they won’t eat it and you can have more for yourself. 🙂
What You Need
You need the usual measuring cups and spoons, three bowls, an electric mixer, and a 10-inch cast iron skillet (for best results).
GF Pineapple Cake Recipe
GF Pineapple Cake
A pineapple upside down cake made with GF flour that has the right texture!
Topping Ingredients (Baked on the Bottom of the Cake)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 7 pineapple rings Approximately 1 large can, drained
- 14 Maraschino cherry halves
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour (I prefer Bob's Red Mill GF 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 1/4 cup egg whites (These are used separately, late in the recipe.)
- Heat the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet until it melts.
- Swirl the skillet to coat part way up the sides.
Cover the bottom of the skillet with the brown sugar. The brown sugar will soak up most of the butter. Make sure the sugar mixture is evenly spread on the bottom of the pan.
Place the pineapple rings over the brown sugar around the edge and one in the center of the skillet. Place a maraschino cherry half in the center of each pineapple ring (all with the round side facing the same direction) and add more in between the rings if you want.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
Mix in the whole egg (NOT the eggwhites), milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients.
- Fold dry ingredients mixture into the liquid mixture.
Whip the eggwhites until stiff. (This is the "trick" that adds the proper texture.)
Gently fold the stiff eggwhites into the batter and mix well.
Pour the batter over top of the pineapple rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it rest for a minute, no longer.
- You may find it helpful to loosen the cake with a table knife from the outside edge of the pan before you do the next step.
Place the serving platter over the top of the skillet and turn the whole thing upside down to reveal the brown sugar topped cake with pineapple rings and cherries.
Cut the cake into "pie" slices and serve just how it is or add whipped cream for elegance.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Cut into 12 Pieces
Cut into 8 Pieces
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Gluten Free (Gingerbread) Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Gluten Free Lemon Cake
- My Best Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- Easy Cherry Almond Cake
- Speedy Spice Cake