Recipe Idea: Make Some Homemade Pizza
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, talking about Homemade Pizza.
I am off work until Monday and have enjoyed sleeping late and watching the morning shows on TV for the past two days. In fact, I spent the entire morning yesterday drinking my delicious coffee (I love the smell of coffee) while watching the Today Show and Regis & Kelly. I felt very privileged to be able to spend the morning relaxing. I also perused my cookbooks and chose some delicious recipes for the rest of the week. In the afternoon I went grocery shopping to get everything I need to make this wonderful food. Yesterday was a fun day!
One of the meals I chose was Homemade Pizza. I have made this recipe many times and it is amazing every time. It’s also very easy. The original recipe came from Betty Crocker’s International Cookbook. If you can get your hands on one, do buy it. All the recipes are absolutely scrumptious.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 4 Italian sausage links (sweet)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 a green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 a pound fresh button mushrooms (sliced) (or 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained and sautéd)
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pizza Dough (below)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the sausage easier to slice, freeze it for an hour or two. Then slice it into 1/4-inch round slices.
- Fry the sausage coins until they are cooked through and browned on both sides.
- Remove the sausages to a separate bowl and then fry the mushrooms until browned. If using canned mushrooms, drain and dry them before frying.
- Combine mushrooms, onion, garlic, green pepper, basil, oregano, pepper and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Prepare pizza dough.
- Top the dough with the prepared sauce, followed by the sausages and the two cheeses. Bake at 425F degrees until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown, and the crust is brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115F degrees)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- When it starts to bubble, add sugar, salt, oil and 1 & 3/4 cups flour.
- Mix and knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Spread dough on a greased pizza pan or jelly roll pan. (I always use a 13 x 9 jelly roll pan.)
- Let it sit (rise) for about 20 minutes, then add sauce and toppings for pizza.