RECIPE IDEA: Lentil Sweet Potato Salad. Lentils and Sweet Potatoes. Excellent combination!
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen with Recipe Idea Shop. This Lentil Sweet Potato Salad is a light and unique dish that is full of flavor. It’s one of my favorite salads any time of the year. I am sorry to say I do not know where I got this recipe. It may be a combination of a few recipes over the years, but it’s likely based on a Moosewood Collective recipe.
The tiny green lentils hold their shape and don’t get as mushy as brown, red or yellow lentils. Combining the tartness of the dressing, firm texture of the lentils and the sweetness of the potatoes and apples makes an outstanding salad. It is good either warm or cold. Have it as a main dish or a side dish any time of they year.
Read on for recipe and nutrition information…
- 1 pound of green lentils
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Gala apple (cored and diced)
- 3 green onions (sliced in rounds white and green parts)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Boil the lentils in a pot of water until they are done, yet still crisp, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Do not overcook or they will be mushy. (Check frequently.)
- Drain and rinse. (You can substitute the [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/french-green-lentils/”]French Green Lentils[/url] recipe.)
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into finger-size slices. (I sliced them in 1/4-inch rounds, but I think it would be better if you sliced them like french fries.)
- Place the sweet potato slices in a bowl and top with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with rosemary leaves, nutmeg, a tiny bit of salt and pepper.
- Spread them evenly in a single layer on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
- Roast potatoes in a 450-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and roast for another 10 minutes. (Watch carefully so they don’t burn.)
- While potatoes are cooking, add a little water to the apple pieces and cook them in the microwave for about 3 minutes.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until the flavors are enhanced; add the drained apples.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients until combined.
- Mix everything together except the spinach.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Serve over a bed of baby spinach.