Lentil Sweet Potato Salad. Tart dressing, crisp lentils, roasted sweet potatoes. So yum!
Lentil Sweet Potato Salad. Excellent!
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen with Recipe Idea Shop. This Lentil Sweet Potato Salad is a light and unique dish that is full of flavor. It’s one of my favorite salads any time of the year. I am sorry to say I do not know where I got this recipe. It may be a combination of a few recipes over the years, but it’s likely based on a Moosewood Collective recipe.
Pick the Right Lentil
The tiny green lentils hold their shape and don’t get as mushy as brown, red or yellow lentils. Combining the tartness of the dressing, firm texture of the lentils and the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and apples makes an outstanding salad. It is good either warm or cold. Have it as a main dish or a side dish any time of the year. Such a pretty salad, too.
French Lentils, Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Lentil Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 pound French green lentils
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Gala apple (cored and diced)
- 3 green onions (sliced in rounds white and green parts)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
Boil the lentils in a pot of water until they are done, yet still crisp, approximately 20-30 minutes. Do not overcook or they will be mushy. (Check frequently.)
Drain and rinse lentils, and set aside.
Heat oven to 450F degrees.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch rounds.
Place the sweet potato slices in a bowl and top with about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Sprinkle with rosemary leaves, nutmeg, a tiny bit of salt and pepper.
- Spread them evenly in a single layer on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet that you have covered in parchment paper.
- Roast potatoes in a 450-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and roast for another 10 minutes. (Watch carefully so they don't burn.)
While potatoes are cooking, add a little water to the apple pieces and cook them in the microwave for about 3 minutes. Drain.
- In a skillet on top of the stove, sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until the flavors are enhanced; add the drained apples.
Whisk together remaiing olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper and garlic until emulsified.
Put It Together
In a large bowl combine the lentils, sweet potatoes, apples and onions mixture.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix gently.
- Serve over a bed of baby spinach.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Salad Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Egyptian Lentils & Pasta
- Ayman’s Egyptian Rice
- Brown Rice Salad with Canberries
- Lentil Rice Stuffed Roasted Eggplant
- Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad
- Tarragon Rice Pilaf
- Lemon Rice