Recipe Idea: Mac and Cheese Style Cauliflower
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. We get Vegetarian Times magazine and love the recipes they publish. The January/February 2012 issue has some awesome recipes. I tried this one a couple days ago (of course, my version includes a few changes).
If you have left overs, you can whip the cauliflower casserole in your food processor to make a delicious “mashed cauliflower” side dish. I did this when we ate it as leftovers. It was yummy. After I whipped it, I baked it for about 30 minutes.
- 1 large head cauliflower (1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or brown rice flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- Pam (baking spray)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Steam for 5-8 minutes or so until tender crisp.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir to release flavors.
- Immediately whisk in flour until a roux forms.
- Add the milk and heat until thickened.
- Mix in the cheeses, cayenne and egg yolks and stir to combine.
- Spray a 13″ x 9″ casserole pan with Pam.
- Pour the cauliflower into the pan.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Spray the breadcrumbs with Pam to moisten.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are brown.