Barley Apple Walnut Salad is a beautiful and unique salad that you are going to want to eat. Just look at how lovely this salad looks. It’s simple to make, too.
This delicious Barley Apple Walnut Salad recipe comes from the cookbook The Tastes of Ayurveda by Amrita Sondhi. It is comprised of arugula, a bitter lettuce that I truly love, fresh apples, walnuts and cooked barley, and topped with a wonderful Olive Oil Lemon Honey Vinaigrette.
Sondhi’s cookbook is filled with helpful nutrition information, and I look to it often.
Methodology and Nutrition Tips
The recipe calls for you to soak the barley overnight, and also soak the walnuts. However, if you prefer, you can simply cook the barley without soaking it, but it takes longer (about 30-45 minutes) and you will need about 3 cups of water. Soaking walnuts also makes them more digestiable and enhances the natural enzymes to make them more beneficial to you. Rinse the nuts after soaking and use immediately or store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need knives, a cutting board, some good cooking pans, bowls, a colander, and measuring cups and spoons. A salad spinner would be helpful, too.
Barley Salad with Apples & Walnuts Recipe
Barley Apple Walnut Salad
A delicious mix of cruchy and chewy ingredients makes this salad SO good.
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 1/2 cups water for soaking
- 1 1/4 cups water for cooking
- 6 cups loosely packed baby arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1 Gala apple cored and cut into small cubes (leave skin on)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup walnuts soaked in water for 1 hour, rinsed and drained*
- 1/3 cup Dressing (ingredients below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey (for vegan, use Agave Nectar instead of honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or hot paprika)
- Soak the barley in 1 1/2 cups water overnight to make it more digestible and bring out its natural enzymes.
- Rinse the barley after soaking and cook it in 1 1/4 cups water.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer unti barley is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the barley with the celery, apple, parsley and walnuts.
- Add the arugula to the barley mixture, toss with dressing and serve.
In a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, honey (or agave), salt and cayene.
Whisk to emulstify.
See separate recipe below for the vinaigrette.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- French Barley Salad
- Barley with Green Beans Parmesan
- Barley Risotto
- White Bean and Barley Stew
- Chicken Squash and Barley Casserole