Barley Apple Walnut Salad is a beautiful and unique salad that you are going to want to eat. Just look at how lovely this salad looks. It's simple to make, too.
Barley Apple Walnut Salad is filling and so good.
This delicious Barley Apple Walnut Salad recipe is based on a recipe by Amrita Sondhi, found in her cookbook The Tastes of Ayurveda. It is comprised of arugula, a bitter lettuce that I truly love, fresh apples, walnuts and cooked barley, and topped with a wonderful Olive Oil Lemon Honey Vinaigrette. Sondhi's cookbook is filled with helpful nutrition information, and I look to it often.
Although I follow a gluten-free diet, I do seem to be able to eat barley. Of course, I don't eat it often and that might be the reason I can tolerate it. But it makes me happy because I really like it, and this recipe is scrumptious.
Methodology and Nutrition Tips
The recipe calls for you to soak the barley overnight, and also soak the walnuts. However, if you prefer, you can simply cook the barley without soaking it, but it takes longer (about 30-45 minutes) and you will need about 3 cups of water. Soaking walnuts also makes them more digestible and enhances the natural enzymes to make them more beneficial to you. Rinse the nuts after soaking and use immediately or store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need knives, a cutting board, some good cooking pans, bowls, a colander, and measuring cups and spoons. A salad spinner would be helpful, too.
Barley Apple Walnut Salad Recipe
- ½ cup barley
- 1 ½ cups water for soaking
- 1 ¼ cups water for cooking
- 6 cups loosely packed baby arugula leaves
- ¼ cup sliced celery
- 1 Gala apple (cored and cut into small cubes; leave skin on)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup walnuts (soaked in water for 1 hour, rinsed and drained*)
- ⅓ cup Dressing (ingredients below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey (for vegan, use Agave Nectar instead of honey)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/16 to ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (or hot paprika)
- Soak the barley in 1 ½ cups water overnight to make it more digestible and bring out its natural enzymes.
- Rinse the barley after soaking and cook it in 1 ¼ cups water.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer unti barley is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the barley with the celery, apple, parsley and walnuts.
- Add the arugula to the barley mixture, toss with dressing and serve.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, honey (or agave), salt and cayene.
- Whisk to emulstify.
Leave a Reply