Recipe Idea: Barley Apple Walnut Salad Super Good
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I brought this Barley Apple Walnut Salad to work yesterday for a little “welcome home” party for a former coworker. It was delicious and filling. It comes from the cookbook The Tastes of Ayurveda by Amrita Sondhi. She is holding a book launch on Saturday, June 30, 2012. If you are in the area of Bowen Island, British Columbia (Canada), stop by The Gallery at Artisan Square at 7 pm for the party.
The recipe calls for you to soak the barley overnight, and also soak the walnuts. However, if you prefer, you can simply cook the barley without soaking it, but it takes longer (about 30-45 minutes) and you will need about 3 cups of water. Soaking walnuts also makes them more digestiable and enhances the natural enzymes to make them more beneficial to you. Rinse the nuts after soaking and use immediately or store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 1/2 cups water for soaking
- 1 1/4 cups water for cooking
- 6 cups loosely packed baby arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1 Gala apple, cored and cut into small cubes (leave skin on)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup walnuts (soaked in water for 1 hour, rinsed and drained)*
- 1/3 cup [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/olive-oil-lemon-juice-honey-dressing/”]Olive Oil, Lemon Juice and Honey Dressing[/url] (for vegan, use Agave Nectar instead of honey)
- Soak the barley in 1 1/2 cups water overnight to make it more digestible and bring out its natural enzymes.
- Rinse the barley after soaking and cook it in 1 1/4 cups water.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer unti barley is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the barley with the celery, apple, parsley and walnuts.
- Make the dressing, add the salt and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the arugula to the barley mixture, toss with dressing and serve.