Mushroom Strudel made with mushrooms, cheese and vegetables wrapped in phyllo dough will make you happy. This is a recipe that takes a long time to make, but it is worth the effort.
Don made an amazing meal with recipes from Vegetarian Times magazine. This Mushroom Strudel was awesome! Don did a fabulous job making everything. It is a complicated recipe, but he gives you step-by-step instructions. You can do this.
- Green Beans with Walnuts and Shallot Crisps
- Mushroom, Cheese, and Vegetable Strudel
- Roasted Sweet Potato “Fries”
The meal took a lot of time, and the kitchen was a disaster when Don finished, but from my perspective…it was so worth it. I must admit, this is not a recipe I would even attempt because it is somewhat complicated. My husband, the engineer, loves to make multi-step recipes.
What You Need
You need measuring cups and spoons, knives, a cutting board, pots and pans, a baking sheet, bowls, and a food processor. You also need phyllo dough, which you can get in the frozen foods area of the grocery store. But what you really want is a beautiful set of dinnerware, am I right?
Mushroom Strudel Recipe
Mushroom, Cheese and Vegetable Strudel
A rich, cheese and mushroom filled pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pound white mushrooms (sliced)
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu (drained)
- 8 ounces Neufchatel cheese (softened)
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound whole-wheat phyllo dough (thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Coat an 18×13-inch baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, and thyme in oil for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms.
- Cook 10 minutes or until wilted.
- Stir in spinach and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 5-7 minutes, or until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Puree tofu and the two cheeses in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir into mushroom mixure.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil, garlic and thyme in small pot over medium heat 2-3 minutes.
- Cover bottom of prepared baking pan with 2 phyllo sheets, allowing sheets to overlap each other and hang off the sides.
Brush with garlic/thyme oil.
Place 2 more phyllo sheets on top and brush with garlic/thyme oil.
- Repeat 4 times, until you have a 6-layer bottom crust.
- Spread filling on the crust, leaving 3-inch edge all around.
Brush edges with garlic/thyme oil.
- Fold sides of phyllo over filling.
- Cover filling with 2-sheet layer of phyllo (4 sheets total), overlapping sheets in center.
Brush with garlic/thyme oil.
Repeat layering 2 sheets at a time until you have 4 layers (16 sheets phyllo total), brushing every second sheet with garlic/thyme oil.
- Tuck under edges.
- Sprinkle top with seeds, if desired.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden.
Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into slices.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Savory Vegetarian Potpie
- Turkey Potpie
- Vegan Chickpea Loaf
- Mushroom Meatballs
- Oven Browned Potatoes
- Hassleback Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Bourguignon
- Indian Ratatouille
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?