Recipe Idea: New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about our New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese recipe. Macaroni & Cheese has always been a comfort food in our family, even though many of us now know we are allergic to cheese. I sure wish I could eat it! I made some today for a family that is grieving a family member’s loss. It’s one of my “go to” recipes to take to friends when they need support.
This New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese, which is a Moosewood Restaurant recipe, contains three different cheeses, milk and that crowd-pleaser, pasta. Kids love it. Adults love it. This recipe is the best mac & cheese recipe you’re ever gonna find. Really. It’s that good. Everyone I give it to raves about it.
When our daughter Roni got married, Don made this delicious New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese (for 80 people!) to supplement the caterer’s food. He did a fabulous job, too. What a guy! Add a Green Bean Tomato Salad as a side dish to prevent you from eating too much of this amazing comfort food.
Did you grab your FREE cookbook?
Tools Used for This Recipe
I used my food processor, knives, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, pans, and a baking dish. What would you use?
New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese
The best mac & cheese you're ever gonna eat.
- 1 & 1/2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 1 & 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni cooked
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Spray a 9" baking dish with baking spray (Pam is a good one).
- In a blender or a food processor, grate the onion (fine).
- Add the cheeses, milk and spices and puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine this pureed mixture with the macaroni.
- Pour into the greased baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is brown and the center is firm.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.