New Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese, my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. More flavor than the quick box stuff and worth the trouble.
New old-fashioned mac & cheese is so comforting.
Did you know that July 14 is National Mac & Cheese Day? Macaroni & Cheese has always been a comfort food in our family, even though many of us now know we are allergic to cheese. I sure wish I could eat it! It’s one of my “go to” recipes to take to friends when they need support.
This New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese, which is a Moosewood Restaurant recipe, contains three different cheeses, milk and that crowd-pleaser, pasta. Kids love it. Adults love it. This recipe is the best mac & cheese recipe you’re ever gonna find. Really. It’s that good. Everyone who eats it raves about it.
When our daughter Roni got married, Don made this delicious New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese (for 80 people!) to supplement the caterer’s food. He did a fabulous job, too. What a guy! Add a Green Bean Tomato Salad as a side dish to prevent you from eating too much of this amazing comfort food.
Tools Used for This Recipe
I used my food processor, knives, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, pans, and a baking dish. What would you use? I think this recipe originally came from the Moosewood New Classics Cookbook, one of my favorites!
New Classic Mac & Cheese Recipe
New Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese
The best mac & cheese you're ever gonna eat.
- 1 & 1/2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 1 & 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni cooked
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Spray a 9" baking dish with baking spray (Pam is a good one).
- In a blender or a food processor, grate the onion (fine).
- Add the cheeses, milk and spices and puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine this pureed mixture with the macaroni.
- Pour into the greased baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is brown and the center is firm.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Nutrition
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Gluten-Free Pasta Niçoise Salad
- French Barley Salad
- Barley Apple Walnut Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Cranberries and Nuts
- Barley Risotto
- White Bean and Barley Stew
- Chicken Squash and Barley Casserole
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?