RECIPE IDEA: Scalloped Potatoes with Ground Thyme entices your tastebuds with a hint of thyme.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen with Recipe Idea Shop. Scalloped Potatoes are very inviting in the fall or winter when the weather is cool and crisp. But sometimes ya just gotta have ’em even when it’s a bit hot, right? I like them best when cooked in the oven, but you can also make them on the grill, wrapped in foil. (See Grilled Scalloped Potatoes.)
So last week I was hungry for Scalloped Potatoes with Ground Thyme and I made some on Thursday. I paired them with some Cuban Pork that I froze the last time we had it. Great meal! I just discovered that I never put the Cuban Pork recipe up, so I will have to do that. There’s always so much to do, isn’t there?
I think Scalloped Potatoes with Ground Thyme is my favorite way to have Scalloped Potatoes, but I love them just about any way they are made. Some variations include caramelized onions, loads of cheddar cheese, bacon, ham, or all of these. They are all yummy. Don likes his Scalloped Potatoes a bit soupy (thin sauce); I like the sauce to be thickened. Some recipes call for a little flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce, but if you use really waxy potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, the sauce will thicken naturally. This recipe produces a thin sauce.
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 6-8 small potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- Distribute the butter evenly over the inside of a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish.
- Wash and thinly slice the potatoes and place them in the baking dish. No need to peel them.
- Cut the onion in half and thinly slice them.
- Put the onion over the potatoes.
- Pour in the milk.
- Pour in the cream.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic, thyme, salt and pepper over the potato mixture.
- Bake in a 350F degree oven for about one hour, or until potatoes are tender, and the top of the casserole is browning slightly. [br] [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]