Arroz non Pollo (Mexican Rice without Chicken). Simple, slow cooker recipe.
Slow Cooker Arroz non Pollo (Mexican Rice Without Chicken) is super good.
I first made this amazing slow cooker Mexican Rice without Chicken, Slow Cooker Arroz non Pollo in 2010. At the time, we were hosting two young men from a program called Up With People. One of them was vegetarian. To accommodate this preference, we tried some new vegetarian recipes.
This one came from Robin Robertson's Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker (affiliate link). It's a terrific cookbook. Of course I modified it a little bit. I have made several recipes from this cookbook, and all have been quite good. This recipe is easy and has some unusual ingredients that really jazz it up!
What You Need
I suggest you buy the very best tools you can afford. Add to your kitchen tools a little at a time if you have to. Of course, when you have a special occasion, like your birthday, a wedding or Christmas, you can ask for special gifts. For this recipe, you will need a slow cooker or Instant Pot (affiliate link), skillet, measuring cups and spoons, and a good chef's knife (affiliate link).
Slow Cooker Arroz non Pollo (Mexican Rice) Recipe
Slow Cooker Arroz non Pollo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 10 baby carrots (or 3 large)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 whole red bell pepper (seeded & diced)
- 8 ounces green beans (trimmed)
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- Pepper to taste
- ¾ cup salsa (or ½ cup for slightly less spice)
- ½ cup frozen peas (thawed)
- ⅓ cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives (drained)
- 1 cup brown rice
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic and spices and saute until onions are translucent and carrots are beginning to brown.
- Transfer cooked onion mixture to a lightly greased 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bouillon, bell pepper, green beans and chickpeas.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Cover, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Cook the rice separately and add to the crock pot about ½ hour before serving. Stir.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add the salsa, peas and olives. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF, V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- SautÃ©ed Bitter Greens
- Tomato Basil Chutney
- Authentic Middle Eastern Hummus
- Mediterranean Tzatziki Sauce
- Baked Falafel Balls
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop October 25, 2010 and updated November 19, 2020.