Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup is beautiful, hearty and scrumptious. Quick to put together in the slow cooker, too.
Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup Oh-So-Tasty
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen telling you about another wonderful slow cooker vegan recipe from Robin Robertson’s cookbook, Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. It is truly my best slow-cooker resource. My version of Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup is delicious, of course.
As usual, I changed several ingredients in the original recipe (adding more carrots, using ground ginger instead of fresh ginger—since I didn’t have any fresh—eliminating the lemon, and adding mint), but it’s based on Robertson’s “Moroccan-style Lentil and Chickpea Soup.” I think adding the mint made a huge difference. It was wicked good.
I absolutely love this cookbook. Every. Single. Recipe. Is. Amazing.
Check out the recipe…
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chickpea and Lentil Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup
A bit of mint makes this slow cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup so bountiful. Lots of flavor and protein. Easy as 1-2-3.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 15 baby carrots chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 cup dried lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes including juice
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil until hot.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat until the onions are transparent.
- Add the carrots and continue cooking for about 7 or 8 minutes, until the carrots start to brown a bit.
While the carrots and onions are cooking, mix the spices and garlic in a small bowl.
- Pour this mixture over the carrots and onions and stir to make sure the vegetables are evenly coated.
Dump this mixture into a 6-quart crockpot (slow cooker).
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, lentils and chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Set the temperature to low, cover and cook for 6-8 hours until the carrots and lentils are tender.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chickpea and Lentil Soup Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- French Vegetable Stew
- Roasted Ratatouille with Corn
- Indian Ratatouille
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Lentil Riced Stuffed Roasted Eggplant
- Vegetable Dill Stew