This vegetarian Grilled Portabella Reuben Sandwich is super tasty. You won’t even miss the corned beef.
This Portabella Reuben Sandwich (also known as Portobello Reuben Sandwich) is a fabulous vegetarian meal we love. St. Patrick’s Day will be here soon. It generally conjures up an image of Corned Beef and Cabbage, but what if you’re vegetarian? What do you eat while having your green beer? This sandwich, of course!
It’s so good—even if you aren’t a vegetarian. If you like the high-fat, corned beef version, I think you will love this lower fat alternative. I my opinion, it is to-die-for. And I made mine gluten free with Udi’s Gluten Free Rye Style Bread. Great bread!
The original Portabella Reuben Sandwich recipe is from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook. It’s terrific. Although we like it a lot the way the Moosewood cookbook suggests (baked, not grilled), we like it much better grilled with a little butter spread on the outside of the bread and then grilled on our Cuisinart Griddler. It is so much more flavorful that way. But it does add calories and fat.
Here’s How You Do It
Someday, I will get my act together and photograph every step. Here are the basic steps (really, it’s not hard to make once you get everything together; you just layer it)…
Get your ingredients together.
Slice and roast the mushrooms.
Make the dressing.
Layer the ingredients on the bread. Grill and eat.
Okay, so I agree, this seems like the most difficult part. And—silly me—I forgot to take pictures of that part! But you can do it. The recipe is pretty clear, I think. If you need help, just contact me and I’ll walk you through it.
Tools You Really Need
Of course, you need a good set of knives, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a baking sheet with a lip. But I suggest you get a griddle, too. We love our Griddler.
Portabella Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Portabella Reuben Sandwich
Easy Russian Dressing
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (about 1/2 a medium tomato)
- 2/3 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions—white and tender green parts only (2 scallions)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
Portabella Reuben Sandwich
- 8 slices plain or toasted Udi's Gluten Free Rye Style Bread or standard rye bread
- 4 large portabellas (rinsed and dried, about 8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 cup drained sauerkraut
- 1 1/2 cups grated or sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Russian Dressing (recipe included)
For Option 1 Only
- 8 tablespoons butter
Easy Russian Dressing Directions
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small food processor or blender and purée until smooth and creamy.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
General Portabella Reuben Sandwich Directions (use for both options)
- Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Combine the oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
Remove the stems from the portabellas and slice the caps into 1/2- to 1/4-inch-thick slices. Brush the portabella slices with the oil mixture and arrange on a baking sheet that you have covered with parchment paper.
To roast, bake mushrooms on one side for 4 to 8 minutes, then turn with a spatula and bake for 4 to 8 minutes more, until tender and juicy.
Option 1: Putting It Together and Grilling the Sandwich
- Heat a skillet or a grill to medium hot (about 350F degrees)
Spread the butter on one side of each of the 4 slices of bread.
On the other side, spread the Easy Russian Dressing and place buttered side down on the grill. Layer each slice with 1/4 cup of the sauerkraut, 1/4 of the portabella slices, and a generous 1/3 cup of the cheese (or 1-2 slices).
Top each sandwich with a second slice of bread (on which you have spread Russian Dressing and buttered the other side.
- Grill for about 4 minutes per side, until the cheese melts and the outside of the bread is nice and toasty brown.
- Serve immediately.
Option 2: Baking the Sandwich
- Reduce the heat to 400F degrees.
Follow all the instructions for grilling the reuben, but do not butter the outside of the bread.
Bake the sandwich for about 4 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Stuffed Mushrooms (Vegetarian)
- Easy Russian Dressing
- Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef