Halloumi Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich (on Gluten Free Bread), oh my. How many ways can you say “yum”? Halloumi cheese, sometimes spelled Haloumi, is the amazing Greek cheese that you can fry or deep fry and it doesn’t melt.
What will you do with all that left-over Baked Corned Beef you have from St. Patrick’s Day? Make a Reuben, of course! I like mine with Halloumi cheese and gluten free bread. Use whatever bread and cheese you like. (Swiss is good too!)
Corned Beef Reuben Sandwiches
We recently enjoyed Reuben sandwiches for supper, along with Colcannon, a delightful side dish of mashed potatoes mixed with fried cabbage, onions and bacon. (Yes, my favorite, bacon.) What a delicious supper. I’m sure it’s about a million calories, though, so it’s a good thing we only eat this meal once a year!
Classic Reuben vs. Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Reuben
Don had a Classic Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich and I had a Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Sandwich. For my sandwich, I substituted gluten free bread and Halloumi cheese for the traditional rye bread and Swiss cheese.
Have you had Halloumi cheese? It’s SO good. Kind of like salty mozzarella, but made from goat’s and sheep’s milk so I can eat it because it doesn’t contain the A1 protein. It’s an interesting cheese that you can fry and it doesn’t melt. It gets nice and brown. My friend Claudia at Live Like a Goddess introduced me to this cheese. (Thanks, Claudia!)
Anyway, it worked great for my Reuben.
This time, I took the lazy way out and used a bottled Thousand Island dressing. But I highly recommend that you make your own Russian Dressing because it is super good and easy to make. If you like grilled cheese and corned beef, I think you’re gonna wanna eat this. Halloumi cheese is amazing.
TOOLS FOR A WELL-EQUIPPED KITCHEN
Every kitchen should have the very best tools you can afford. At the least, buy yourself a good set of pans, a slow cooker, an Instant Pot, measuring cups and spoons, and the best set of chef’s knives you can afford. Also be sure to get a full sized food processor and a mini food processor. These tools are essential for any well-equipped kitchen!
What really works great is a panini grill. We love ours.
Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- 2 pieces gluten free bread
- 2 slices Halloumi cheese
- 3 slices corned beef about 1/4 pound
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut drained
- 2 tablespoons Russianor Thousand Island dressing
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Heat your panini griddle to about 300F degrees.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Lay the buttered side of one piece of bread on the grill.
- Put one tablespoon of dressing on the inside of this slice of bread.
- Top with cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Spread the other tablespoon of dressing on the inside of the second piece of bread and place the bread on top of the sandwich.
- Grill for about 5 minutes until everything is hot and the bread is toasty brown.
- Heat your open pancake griddle to about 300F degrees.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Lay the buttered side of both pieces of bread on the grill.
- Put one tablespoon of dressing on the inside of each slice of bread.
- Place the corned beef, halloumi cheese and sauerkraut in separate spots on the grill, warming them for about 2-3 minutes, turning them over to heat both sides.
- Construct the sandwich: Top on slice of bread with cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Place the second piece of bread on top of the sandwich.
- Grill for about 2-3 more minutes until the bread is toasty brown on the outside and everything on the inside it warmed, turning the sandwich over halfway through.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Classic Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- Baked Corned Beef Dinner
- Portabella Reuben Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Easy Russian Dressing