Halloumi Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich (on Gluten Free Bread), oh my. How many ways can you say "yum"? Halloumi cheese, sometimes spelled Haloumi, is the amazing Greek cheese that you can fry or deep fry and it doesn't melt.
Want a Halloumi Cheese & Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich On Rye?
What will you do with all that left-over Baked Corned Beef you have from St. Patrick's Day? Make a Reuben, of course! I like mine with Halloumi cheese and gluten free bread. Use whatever bread and cheese you like. (Swiss is good too!)
Corned Beef Reuben Sandwiches
We recently enjoyed Reuben sandwiches for supper, along with Colcannon, a delightful side dish of mashed potatoes mixed with fried cabbage, onions and bacon. (Yes, my favorite, bacon.) What a delicious supper. I'm sure it's about a million calories, though, so it's a good thing we only eat this meal once a year!
Classic Reuben vs. Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Reuben
Don had a Classic Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich and I had a Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Sandwich. For my sandwich, I substituted gluten free bread and Halloumi cheese for the traditional rye bread and Swiss cheese.
Have you had Halloumi cheese? It's SO good. Kind of like salty mozzarella, but made from goat's and sheep's milk so I can eat it because it doesn't contain the A1 protein. It's an interesting cheese that you can fry and it doesn't melt. It gets nice and brown. My friend Claudia at Live Like a Goddess introduced me to this cheese. (Thanks, Claudia!)
Anyway, it worked great for my Reuben.
This time, I took the lazy way out and used a bottled Thousand Island dressing. But I highly recommend that you make your own Russian Dressing because it is super good and easy to make. If you like grilled cheese and corned beef, I think you're gonna wanna eat this. Halloumi cheese is amazing.
What You Need
Every kitchen should have the very best tools you can afford. At the least, buy yourself the best set of chef's knives you can afford. What really works great is a panini grill. We love ours.
Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Halloumi Gluten Free Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- 2 pieces gluten free bread
- 2 slices Halloumi cheese
- 3 slices corned beef about ¼ pound
- ¼ cup sauerkraut drained
- 2 tablespoons Russianor Thousand Island dressing
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Heat your panini griddle to about 300F degrees.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Lay the buttered side of one piece of bread on the grill.
- Put one tablespoon of dressing on the inside of this slice of bread.
- Top with cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Spread the other tablespoon of dressing on the inside of the second piece of bread and place the bread on top of the sandwich.
- Grill for about 5 minutes until everything is hot and the bread is toasty brown.
- Heat your open pancake griddle to about 300F degrees.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Lay the buttered side of both pieces of bread on the grill.
- Put one tablespoon of dressing on the inside of each slice of bread.
- Place the corned beef, halloumi cheese and sauerkraut in separate spots on the grill, warming them for about 2-3 minutes, turning them over to heat both sides.
- Construct the sandwich: Top on slice of bread with cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Place the second piece of bread on top of the sandwich.
- Grill for about 2-3 more minutes until the bread is toasty brown on the outside and everything on the inside it warmed, turning the sandwich over halfway through.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- Classic Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- Baked Corned Beef Dinner
- Portabella Reuben Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Easy Russian Dressing
- It Ain't Just The Diet (Learn MORE)
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop March 8, 2019 and updated March 25, 2022.
Last Updated on May 25, 2022 by Adriana