Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup. This soup was SO good. And it’s delicious either hot or cold.
Smokin Butternut Squash Soup (DF, GF, Vegan)
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, with a super creamy, delicious Smokin Butternut Squash Soup (dairy free, gluten free, vegan). I think this is my favorite butternut squash soup so far!
I started with one of those little video recipes on FaceBook. I think it was called Thai Butternut Squash Soup. However, when I clicked over to the website, I couldn’t find the darn recipe. There was no way to search for it. Frustrating. So I watched it a couple times and then improvised.
I always think I should learn how to do those quick, little videos, but then I realize that by the time I figure it out, the trend will pass. So, for now, I’ll stick to what I’m doing.
I took a big pot of this soup to Shiloh’s Family Camp Weekend and served it for lunch. The temperature that day was about 90F degrees and I decided to serve the soup cold. Several people told me how much they liked it. It’s super tasty either hot or cold, so take your pick. And look at the amount of protein in this vegan soup!
To make this soup, I used a vegetable peeler, chef’s knife, garlic press, zester/grater, cutting board, Dutch oven (pot), measuring cups and spoons, and an immersion blender (it’s the best little invention, isn’t it?).
Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Smokin Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and grated (about a 2" piece)
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- One large butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable seasoning
- 16 ounces dry red lentils
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or more, to taste
- 2 13.5- ounce cans of lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, boullion, and water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, curry paste, smoked paprika, and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Add the coconut milk and use the emulsion blender, blending until smooth.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve immediate or refrigerate overnight to serve cold.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Vichyssoise Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup (with Thyme, Sage & Basil)
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?