Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup. This soup was SO good. And it’s delicious either hot or cold so you can serve it any time of the year.
Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup is a hearty soup.
You won’t believe how easy and creamy this delicious Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup (dairy free, gluten free, and vegan) is. I think this is my favorite butternut squash soup so far! I’m reposting it now because it’s starting to get colder, and butternut squash is plentiful this time of year.
I started with one of those little video recipes on FaceBook. I think it was called Thai Butternut Squash Soup. However, when I clicked over to the website, I couldn’t find the darn recipe. There was no way to search for it. Frustrating. So I watched it a couple times and then improvised.
I always think I should learn how to do those quick, little videos, but then I realize that by the time I figure it out, the trend will pass. So, for now, I’ll stick to giving you recipes in a searchable blog format.
One year I took a big pot of this soup to Shiloh’s Family Camp Weekend and served it for lunch. The temperature that day was about 90F degrees and I decided to serve the soup cold. Several people told me how much they liked it. It’s super tasty either hot or cold, so take your pick. And look at the amount of protein in this vegan soup.
What You Need
To make this soup, I used a vegetable peeler, chef’s knife, garlic press, zester/grater, cutting board, Dutch oven (affiliate link), measuring cups and spoons, and an immersion blender (it’s the best little invention, isn’t it?).
Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup RecipePrint
Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (peeled and diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and grated (about a 2″ piece))
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- One large butternut squash (peeled, seeded and diced)
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable seasoning
- 16 ounces dry red lentils
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or more, to taste)
- 2 13.5– ounce cans of lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, bouillon, and water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, curry paste, smoked paprika, and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Add the coconut milk and use the emulsion blender, blending until smooth.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve immediately or refrigerate overnight to serve cold.
- Serving Size: About 1-1/2 cups Smokin Butternut Squash Soup
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 76.6 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 10.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.1 mg
Keywords: smokin butternut squash soup; butternut squash soup; smoked butternut squash soup
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF (contains coconut), SF, EF, V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop October 3, 2017 and updated October 20, 2021.