Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad topped by Molasses Honey Vinaigrette is a simple, beautiful salad that will delight your senses.
Trust me. You’re gonna love sweet potato onion pecan salad.
July 12 is National Pecan Day, so I thought I’d give you something different than the usual Pecan Pie recipe (our is excellent, of course). I made this warm Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad by looking at a photo of a similar salad in the cookbook Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan. It’s a simple salad of four ingredients, topped by a Molasses Honey Vinaigrette (recipe included) from Jordan’s cookbook. I absolutely loved it.
The dressing is both tangy and sweet. Roasting the sweet potatoes brings out their flavor. The pecans and red onions are crunchy and add a counterpoint to the sweetness. It’s a beautiful salad you can serve on any occasion. Pair it with chicken, pork or fish for a delicious combination.
Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection.
What You Need
You will need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a jelly roll pan, and a wire whisk. Plus beautiful dishes for serving. Whatever you buy, buy the best you can afford so it lasts a lifetime.
Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad Recipe
Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad
Sweet and tangy, this Sweet Potato, Onion, Pecan Salad will delight your senses.
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and sliced in 1/4" rounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted)
- 2 tablespoons molasses (warmed)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 14 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small shallot (minced)
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
To Make the Salad:
- Put the sweet potato slices in a bowl and coat lightly with olive oil.
Bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet (covered with parchment paper) at 450F degrees for 15 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the slices are beginning to brown.
- In the meantime, slice the red onion into thin strips and then cut in bite-size pieces.
When the sweet potato is done, place it on a plate, sprinkle the onions and pecans over it, and drizzle with the vinaigrette (instructions below).
To Make the Vinaigrette:
- Put the molasses and honey in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the vinegar, salt, shallot, pecans and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Add the olive oil and whisk.
- Taste and adjust sweetness as desired.
- Use immediately or store at room temperature for up to three days.
- Makes about 2 cups of vinaigrette.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Pine Nut Salad
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
- Lentil Sweet Potato Salad
- Spinach and Orange Salad