Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad topped by Molasses Honey Vinaigrette is a simple, beautiful salad that will delight your senses.
Trust me. You’re gonna love sweet potato onion pecan salad.
July 12 is National Pecan Day, so I thought I’d give you something different than the usual Pecan Pie recipe (our is excellent, of course). I made this warm Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad by looking at a photo of a similar salad in the cookbook Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan. It’s a simple salad of four ingredients, topped by a Molasses Honey Vinaigrette (recipe included) from Jordan’s cookbook. I absolutely loved it.
The dressing is both tangy and sweet. Roasting the sweet potatoes brings out their flavor. The pecans and red onions are crunchy and add a counterpoint to the sweetness. It’s a beautiful salad you can serve on any occasion. Pair it with chicken, pork or fish for a delicious combination.
Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection.
What You Need
You will need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a jelly roll pan, and a wire whisk. Plus beautiful dishes for serving. Whatever you buy, buy the best you can afford so it lasts a lifetime.
Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad Recipe
Sweet Potato Onion Pecan Salad
Sweet and tangy, this Sweet Potato, Onion, Pecan Salad will delight your senses.
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and sliced in 1/4" rounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted)
- 2 tablespoons molasses (warmed)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 14 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small shallot (minced)
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
To Make the Salad:
- Put the sweet potato slices in a bowl and coat lightly with olive oil.
Bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet (covered with parchment paper) at 450F degrees for 15 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the slices are beginning to brown.
- In the meantime, slice the red onion into thin strips and then cut in bite-size pieces.
When the sweet potato is done, place it on a plate, sprinkle the onions and pecans over it, and drizzle with the vinaigrette (instructions below).
To Make the Vinaigrette:
- Put the molasses and honey in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the vinegar, salt, shallot, pecans and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Add the olive oil and whisk.
- Taste and adjust sweetness as desired.
- Use immediately or store at room temperature for up to three days.
- Makes about 2 cups of vinaigrette.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Pine Nut Salad
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
- Lentil Sweet Potato Salad
- Spinach and Orange Salad