Sweet Potato Rice & Beans has so much flavor and protein, you’ll want to make this again and again.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I needed a quick potluck item for Quaker Meeting on Sunday, so I made Sweet Potato Rice & Beans with items I had in my pantry, including a can of sweet potatoes. It took me about 35 minutes, mostly because I didn’t have any cooked rice. It was so easy! And it had great flavor. A pretty entree or side dish, it is quite filling.
Because it’s sweet, I predict that your children or grandchildren will love this dish. The flavor bursts from this dish.
What You Need
You need measuring cups and spoons, a colander, and a set of pans or a Dutch oven. Get the best you can afford!
Sweet Potato Rice & Beans Recipe
Sweet Potato Rice & Beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 29-oz can sweet potatoes (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15-1/2 oz can black beans
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium temperature.
- Add the ginger and cook for about a minute to release flavor.
- Add the cardamom, turmeric and salt, and stir, heating for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
Add the water and rice, stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook on low until the rice is done, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes, rinse to remove excess sweetness. Add them to the rice.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to the pot. Stir gently.
- Warm for about 5 minutes until everything is hot, and serve immediately.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Island Sweet Potato Casserole
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Gluten-Free Pasta Niçoise Salad
- French Barley Salad
- Barley Apple Walnut Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Cranberries and Nuts
- Baked Rice
- Yellow Rice and Beans
- Vegan Mexican Red Rice
- Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?