Sweet Potato Rice & Beans has so much flavor and protein, you'll want to make this again and again.
Sweet Potato Rice & Beans is so good.
Hi. It's Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I needed a quick potluck item for Quaker Meeting on Sunday, so I made Sweet Potato Rice & Beans with items I had in my pantry, including a can of sweet potatoes. It took me about 35 minutes, mostly because I didn't have any cooked rice. It was so easy! And it had great flavor. A pretty entree or side dish, it is quite filling.
Because it's sweet, I predict that your children or grandchildren will love this dish. The flavor bursts from this dish.
What You Need
You need measuring cups and spoons, a colander, and a set of pans or a Dutch oven. Get the best you can afford!
Sweet Potato Rice & Beans Recipe
Sweet Potato Rice & Beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 29-oz can sweet potatoes (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15-½ oz can black beans
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium temperature.
- Add the ginger and cook for about a minute to release flavor.
- Add the cardamom, turmeric and salt, and stir, heating for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and rice, stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook on low until the rice is done, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes, rinse to remove excess sweetness. Add them to the rice.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to the pot. Stir gently.
- Warm for about 5 minutes until everything is hot, and serve immediately.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!