Recipe Idea: Sweet Potato Rice & Beans
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I needed a quick potluck item for Quaker Meeting on Sunday, so I made Sweet Potato Rice & Beans with items I had in my pantry. It took me about 35 minutes, mostly because I didn’t have any cooked rice. It was so easy! And it had great flavor. A pretty entree or side dish, it is quite filling.
Because it’s sweet, I predict that children would love this dish.
Read on for recipe and nutrition information…
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 large can (29 oz) sweet potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/2 oz) black beans
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium temperature.
- Add the ginger to the pot and cook for about a minute to release flavor.
- Add the cardamom, turmeric and salt and stir, heating for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and rice, stir. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is done, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes, rinse to remove excess sweetness. Add them to the rice.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to the pot. Stir gently.
- Warm for about 5 minutes until everything is hot, and serve immediately.[br][url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/RIS_LOGO-2-sml.png”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/RIS_LOGO-2-sml.png” width=”252″ height=”53″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”Recipe Idea Shop logo” alt=”RIS logo”][/url]