Recipe Idea: Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup Packs a Bit of a Bite
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about a fabulous Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup. Fall is such a delicious time of year, isn’t it? Because. Butternut squash. Rich, robust, vegan and gluten free. And this soup takes about 40 minutes to make. If you buy the squash already cut up at the grocery store, you can probably put it on the table in about 30 minutes.
Potatoes add a bit of robust thickness to this Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup. It is savory, a bit sweet and has just a little bite to it. That’s the cayenne pepper. I used coconut milk to make it creamy. Delicious!
You will have a filling, complete meal when you add a lovely garden salad and some Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies to your meal.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small apple, peeled, seeded and diced
- 6 cups of water
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 vegetarian bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (or any thickener)
- Place the squash, potatoes, apples, and water in a large pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking about 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft but firm.
- Add the coconut milk, bouillon cubes, cayenne, cardamom, turmeric, celery salt, cumin, and salt to the broth. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding pepper as desired.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Place about 1 cup of the soup in a measuring cup or bowl. Add the potato starch and whisk to blend. Pour this mixture back into the soup and stir to combine. The soup should thicken to a nice, creamy texture.
- Continue heating on medium for about 10 minutes. Serve hot. Top with chives, parsley or toasted pine nuts, if desired.