Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup is a delicious 40-minute meal with all the goodness of a savory, rich soup. And you won't believe the nutrition, so good for you!
Butternut Squash Soup
If you are like me, you love, love, love Butternut Squash Soup. Because. Butternut squash is not only rich, robust, packed with vitamins and protein, but it's also scrumptious, vegan and gluten free. And this Butternut Squash Soup is quick to make. If you buy the squash already cut up at the grocery store, you can probably put it on the table in about 30 minutes.
Potatoes add a bit of hearty thickness to this soup. It is savory, a bit sweet and has just a little bite to it. That's the cayenne pepper. I used coconut milk to make it creamy. And it is amazing.
Health Benefits of Squash (and Potatoes)
The recent epidemic has people scrambling to stay healthy, and one way to do it is to cook your own food using whole foods. Butternut squash and potatoes are two vegetables that keep well and are very versatile. You can make them so many ways and each tastes entirely different.
In fact, my husband thinks he doesn't like butternut squash, but he really does like it. I fooled him the other day by adding Roasted Butternut Squash to the top of a simple green salad, and he exclaimed, "Mmmmm. What is this?" I had to admit it was butternut squash. Ha. Ha. Fooled him.
So back to nutrition...that rich orange color you see in the squash gives you a clue. Lots of Vitamin A, which supports your immune system, is good for the eyes, and so much more. And the potato (besides being a natural thickener) has good protein and carbs, lots of B vitamins, folic acid and other super stuff. It's why the Irish eat them (besides they taste so good).
What You Need
For this recipe you need some common spices (cayenne pepper, cardamom, turmeric, celery salt, cumin). The combination of flavors is stupendous, and I suggest you buy them if you don't have them. Turmeric is an immune booster, so you really need this one in your cabinet. In addition, you'll need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and a soup pot or Dutch oven (affiliate link). Whatever you buy, buy the best you can afford. You'll never be sorry.
Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Recipe
Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 small apple peeled, seeded and diced
- 5 cups water
- 1 15- ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cubes vegetarian bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon Pepper
- Place the squash, potatoes, apples, and water in a large pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking about 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft but firm.
- Add the coconut milk, bouillon cubes, salt, cayenne, cardamom, turmeric, celery salt, cumin, and pepper to the broth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Continue heating on medium for about 10 minutes. Serve hot. Top with chives, parsley or toasted pine nuts, if desired.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF (contains coconut), SF, EF, V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- My Favorite Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
- Smokin' Butternut Squash Soup
- Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Vichyssoise Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup (with Thyme, Sage & Basil)
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop October 19, 2016 and updated September 24, 2021.