Vegan Mexican Red Rice. So scrumptious. Easy peasy, 40-minute meal.
We try to observe “Meatless Mondays” at our house. Usually we have pasta, but with Cinco de Mayo right around the corner, Vegan Mexican Red Rice is tonight’s main dish! We will add a wonderful salad and some fruit for a complete meal.
It’s scrumptious and tastes like the Spanish Rice my mom used to make. She didn’t, however, make it vegan. I don’t think my mom ever made anything vegan on purpose! She added ground beef, and it was quite tasty. If you can boil rice, you can make this.
The recipe is super easy. Boil some rice, sauté some onions and peppers, add some tomato sauce and a few spices. Simple and delicious! I know you’re gonna wanna eat this. I do.
This recipe comes from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, one of my favorite cookbooks. Moosewood recipes are always terrific. I have several of their cookbooks. I suggest you get some.
What You Need
You’ll need some good cookware to enjoy your cooking at its fullest. You will also need measuring cups and spoons, kitchen knives and a cutting board. If you don’t have these items, it might be time to buy them. And remember, always buy the best you can afford. You’ll never regret it.
Vegan Mexican Red Rice Recipe
Vegan Mexican Red Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red bell peppers finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- a pinch less than 1/8 teaspoon teaspoon cayenne pepper (or spicy paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions, peppers,cumin, cayenne, and salt and sauté for about 5 minutes until onions are transparent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a minute more.
- While the onions, peppers and spices are cooking, purée the tomato in your food processor to make about a cup of sauce. If it doesn't make a cup, either add more tomato or add water until you have a full cup.
- Add the rice and tomato purée to the onion mixture and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before lifting the lid.
- Fluff the rice and serve.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Brown Rice Salad with Cranberries
- Cinnamon Sugar Rice (for dessert)
- Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Lemon Rice
- Coconut Basmati Rice