RECIPE IDEA: Yellow Rice and Beans, tastes like Costa Rica
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen with Recipe Idea Shop. Last night Don and I watched the movie Eat, Pray, Love. I thought it was okay—the book was a whole lot better—but it inspired me to think about the delicious foods we had to eat in Costa Rica.
Since Valley Friends Meeting (Quakers) has a “friendly meal” the first Sunday of each month, I decided to make a Costa Rican-inspired casserole to take to share. I also decided to try the Annato Seeds that I recently bought at a grocery store that carries lots of Hispanic foods. People in the Caribbean and Mexico use Annatto Oil to color rice yellow. It doesn’t have much flavor.
Even though we now have a fabulous camera, I can take equally bad photos with it. So the photo doesn’t do justice to the beauty and deliciousness of this recipe!
This recipe is easy to make, tasty, gluten-free, vegetarian/vegan, and rather pretty. Give it a try!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 large can pineapple slices or chunks (drained, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/annatto-oil/”]Annatto Oil[/url]
- Make the yellow rice by stirring about 2 tablespoons of Annato Oil into the rice until the rice becomes a consistent yellow color.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they become transparent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds more.
- Add the black beans, pineapple, cayenne, yellow rice and salt and heat over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve hot. [br] [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]