3 Cheese Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan takes about 40 minutes and is a delight. Eggplants, cheese, tomato sauce. Add a little pasta and you will feel like you are in a lovely Italian restaurant.
I love this easy-to-make 3 Cheese Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan. The basic recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Betty Crocker’s International Cookbook. I started with Betty Crocker’s recipe and modified it for my tastes. The recipe called for garlic salt and I didn’t have any; it’s not something I ever use. So I substituted garlic powder and a little bit of salt. I also added fresh basil and 1/4 cup Feta cheese. The Feta has enough salt and you could leave the added salt out of the recipe.
Because our subcription vegetables from Season’s Bounty Farm’s weekly CSA (community sponsored agriculture) included a couple of eggplants, I decided to make one of Don’s favorite dishes. It was very tasty.
I sliced my eggplant in rounds, but Don—the Eggplant Parmesan connoisseur—says that restaurants usually slice it lengthwise. That seems useful to me since there would be a larger flat surface for the flour to adhere to. He also said there is usually more batter on the eggplant. I think most restaurants must dip the eggplant in milk or egg before they put it in the flour. But we liked it the way I made it. It was delicious.
What You Need
I’ve had my copy of Betty Crocker’s cookbook since the 1980s and I still use it frequently. Every recipe I have tried from it is divine and several of my go-to recipes come from it, including a couple of my favorites: Homemade Pizza and Swedish Meatballs. If you can find one, I suggest you pick it up. You’ll also need a baking dish, measuring cups and spoons, a good chef’s knife, cutting board and a skillet. Get yourself a complete set of good pans and baking dishes. You’ll never be sorry.
3 Cheese Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
3 Cheese Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan
Three cheeses top sliced eggplant in a delicious tomato sauce.
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 medium eggplant (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh, chopped)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese (cut into small bits)
- Mix the flour, garlic powder and salt.
- Dredge the sliced eggplant through the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet and when hot, fry the eggplant in the oil until golden brown on both sides (turning once).
Pour half the tomato sauce into lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the oregano and basil over the sauce.
- Lay the eggplant over the sauce in a single layer.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the Parmesan cheese and all the Feta cheese over the eggplant.
- Cover with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining spices over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Dot with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 325F degree oven for about 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Eggplant Gina
- Minty Eggplant Rollups
- Egyptian Eggplant
- Roasted Eggplant Quinoa Salad
- Lentil Rice Stuffed Eggplant
- Don’s Eggplant Parmesan
- Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?