Chicken Stroganoff, comfort food anytime. Creamy and delicious over noodles.
Hi. Don here. This is a variation of one of my favorite wintertime recipes: Beef Stroganoff. I created this recipe when Lois found we had an abundance of chicken tenders that needed to be used soon. The chicken tenders are just the right size when sliced long way into 3 or 4 pieces. The sauce is creamy and a little tangy, real comfort food.
Serve over hot noodles or your favorite rice. Add steamed broccoli, green beans or a good, green salad. And voila! A quick and easy anytime meal.
What You Need
You will need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a big sauté pan. Get the best you can afford and you will never be sorry.
Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- 1 medium onion (chopped into small pieces)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 ounce dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 to 8 drops Tabasco
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Cut chicken the long way into strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until the onions are tender and clear.
- Place the flour, freshly ground pepper and garlic salt in a bowl.
- Dredge the chicken tenders in the flour mixture to coat all sides.
- Put them in with the onions and oil. (You may have to add a little more oil if too much gets adsorbed by the flour coating.)
If you are adding fresh mushrooms, toss them into the skillet just as the chicken browns on one side. Continue to cook until chicken is brown on all sides.
- When using canned mushrooms, drain them, reserving the liquid, and add them now.
Mix the sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and ketchup.
- Pour this mixture over the chicken, onions and mushrooms in the skillet.
- Stir to mix well.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and continue simmering for about 30 minutes stirring often.
- If the sauce gets too thick, add the some of the reserved mushroom liquid or a little white wine.
- Serve over noodles or rice.
- Garnish with a little dash of paprika to add some color if you want.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Chicken Stroganoff Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Chicken Curry
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Easy Oven Roasted Spatchcocked Chicken
- Croatian Grilled Chicken
- Easy Non-dairy Chicken Curry
- Pecan Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?