Croatian Grilled Chicken is tender, juicy chicken that takes just a few minutes to grill, but it’s best to marinate it to tenderize and add flavor for several hours before grilling. It tastes just like the Croatian Chicken we ate in Croatia.
Recipe Idea: Croatian Grilled Chicken
Have you ever eaten meats in Eastern Europe? You won’t believe the difference between the grilled chicken breasts you get in the U.S. and the tender Croatian Grilled Chicken that is served everywhere in Croatia and across Eastern Europe. Don here. When Lois and I visited Croatia several years ago, the grilled meat always was thin with a little sheen on the surface and, of course, it was delicious. We had no idea what they did to the meat to make it so good. Then we found Dorie Greenspan’s recipe and fell in love with her easy peasy chicken that takes just three ingredients and 5-7 minutes to get it ready to grill (plus marinating time). Check out the recipe…
When the chicken breasts came off the grill—I use a Char-Broil Infrared 3-Burner Gas Grill and love it—they were beautiful. But when Lois tasted her first bite she exclaimed: “This is just like the way the meat was cooked in Croatia!” We were happy to find that Dorie Greenspan’s French recipe replicated the delightful experience of Croatian food.
While I was cooking the chicken, I threw some veggies in the basket and made Grilled Vegetables to accompany the Croatian Grilled Chicken. We are living high on the hog now. Fresh, organic vegetables, sliced or quartered with my handy dandy chef’s knife, and cooked to perfection, if I do say so myself. Of course, I use my grill tools all the time. It would be fun to get a really elaborate set of grill tools, wouldn’t it? Father’s Day is coming…
Croatian Grilled Chicken
Tender, juicy chicken that takes just a few minutes to grill, but you have to marinate it for several hours before grilling.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts sliced butterfly style and pounded to 3/8 inch thick.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and place them in a dish so they all lie flat.
- Using a whisk, combine the olive oil and lemon juice until it is well blended and pour over the chicken breasts.
- Cover the dish.
- Marinate for an hour at room temperature or for several hours in the refrigerator.
- If you refrigerate the chicken breasts, allow them to come to room temperature before grilling.
- Heat your grill to high heat.
- Place the marinated breasts on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes a side.
- If the breasts are thin and the grill hot, this should be long enough to cook them through.
If you want more delicious recipes like this, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Grilled Pork Tenders
- Grilled Spatchcocked Chicken
- South Beach Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Vegetables
- Grilled Scalloped Potatoes
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You’re gonna wanna eat this. I know I do!
BEFORE YOU LEAVE, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?