Chocolat Pots de Cremé (dairy free) is so rich and creamy. Easy 45-minute recipe.
Chocolat Pots de Crème is a lovely chocolate pudding.
Don here, telling you about a terrific dessert. Did you know that October 14 is National Dessert Day? What better way to celebrate than with a beautiful dairy free version of Chocolat Pots de Cremè (spelled the French way)?
Who doesn’t like or maybe love chocolate? It’s gotta be the most popular flavor dessert ever. But, oh my, what happens when your wife is allergic to milk? How can I make a tasty chocolate custard without triggering the allergic reaction?
Searching for a basic recipe for this dessert classic, I came across one in Sharon O’Connor’s Menus and Music Bistro (affiliate link) cookbook. But it called for heavy cream and milk. I thought, “Let’s try it with my new favorite dairy milk alternative: coconut milk.” Here’s the result and recipe. The coconut milk flavor was barely discernible through the delicious chocolate taste.
And did you know you can Whip Coconut Milk to make a topping like whipped cream? Just be sure NOT to use the low fat coconut milk. It takes cold, full-fat coconut milk.
What You Need
You will need a knife or chocolate shaver, a good heavy bottomed pan, a mixing bowl, wire whisk, measuring cups and spoons, an electric mixer (for whipped cream), and ramekins or beautiful little bowls. And baking chocolate, of course.
Chocolat Pots de Crème (Dairy Free) RecipePrint
Chocolat Pots de Crème
Rich and creamy chocolate pudding
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dessert, pudding
- Cuisine: American, French
- 4 tablespoons sugar (I use the natural sugar)
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat preferred)
- 2 oz Bakers Chocolate (chopped into small bits)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa (for dusting)
- 4 sprigs mint (for garnish if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 300F degrees.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, combine the sugar and coconut milk.
- Bring the milk mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Just as it starts to boil, add the chocolate and stir. Bring it to the boiling point again, continually stirring. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolks until pale yellow.
- Gradually whisk the whisked egg yolks into the warm, chocolate mixture.
- Arrange four three-inch ramekins in a baking pan.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture equally into the ramekins.
- Set the ramekins in a baking dish.
- Carefully add hot water to fill the baking pan to a height half way up the sides of the ramekins. (This is called a water bath.) DO NOT spill water into the pudding.
- Bake the pots de crème in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the puddings cool.
- When cool, refrigerate the pots de crème at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve cold with a dollop of whipped coconut milk, dusted with powdered cocoa and a sprig of mint.
- Serving Size: Approximately one cup
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 23.6 mg
- Fat: 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 17.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
- Cholesterol: 277 mg
Keywords: chocolat pots de crème, chocolate pots de creme, chocolate pudding
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF (contains coconut), SF, CF, V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop November 18, 2015 and updated October 13, 2021.