Black Beans Tortilla Casserole (Taco Casserole) like baked tacos. It’s an easy meal.
Black Beans Taco Casserole sneaks in some veggies.
This simple Taco Casserole has black beans, corn, cheese, and tortilla corn chips. It is full of flavor. The original recipe came from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (affiliate link), and Moosewood recipes are always good. Any child who likes tacos, chips and cheese will probably like this, even though it is vegetarian and gluten-free.
This Black Beans Tortilla Taco Casserole is an Americanized Mexican dish that travels well, so it is good for a potluck supper. I personally love black beans and corn together. It takes just 35 minutes in the oven, so you can easily make it for a weeknight supper.
What You Need
You will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife, cutting board, sauté pan and a casserole dish. Whatever you buy, buy the best you can afford.
Black Beans Tortilla Chips Taco Casserole Recipe
Taco Casserole with Black Beans and Tortilla Chips
Tacos in a casserole
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes or 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels thawed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach stemmed and chopped
- 2 cups baked tortilla chips crushed
- 8 ounces fat-free sharp Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup prepared Mexican-style red salsa
Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a skillet, sauté the onions in the oil for 5-8 minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, and spices and sauté for 5-10 minutes longer, until just heated through.
- In another sauce pan, blanch the greens in boiling water for 1-3 minutes until just wilted but still bright green.
- Drain and set aside.
- Prepare a 6 x 9 inch baking dish by spraying it with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Spread half the crushed tortilla chips on the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the bean mixture over the chips and sprinkle about 2/3 of the cheese over top.
- Top with the greens and half the salsa.
- Finish with the rest of the crushed chips, remaining salsa and finally the cheese.
- Bake about 35 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, NF, SF, EF, V*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Parmesan Squash Casserole
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
- Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole
- Sausage Egg Casserole
- My Favorite Beef Enchiladas
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop May 5, 2016 and updated August 12, 2021.