Black Beans Tortilla Casserole (Taco Casserole) is like baked tacos. It's an easy meal.
Black Beans Taco Casserole sneaks in some veggies.
This simple Taco Casserole has black beans, corn, cheese, and tortilla corn chips. It is full of flavor. The original recipe came from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (affiliate link), and Moosewood recipes are always good. Any child who likes tacos, chips, and cheese will probably like this, even though it is vegetarian and gluten-free.
This Black Beans Tortilla Taco Casserole is an Americanized Mexican dish that travels well, so it is good for a potluck supper. I personally love black beans and corn together. It takes just 35 minutes in the oven, so you can easily make it for a weeknight supper.
What You Need
You will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife, a cutting board, saute pan, and a casserole dish. Whatever you buy, buy the best you can afford.
Black Beans Tortilla Chips Taco Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes or 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels thawed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach stemmed and chopped
- 2 cups baked tortilla chips crushed
- 8 ounces fat-free sharp Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup prepared Mexican-style red salsa
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a skillet, sauté the onions in the oil for 5-8 minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, and spices and sauté for 5-10 minutes longer, until just heated through.
- In another sauce pan, blanch the greens in boiling water for 1-3 minutes until just wilted but still bright green.
- Drain and set aside.
- Prepare a 6 x 9 inch baking dish by spraying it with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Spread half the crushed tortilla chips on the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the bean mixture over the chips and sprinkle about ⅔ of the cheese over top.
- Top with the greens and half the salsa.
- Finish with the rest of the crushed chips, remaining salsa and finally the cheese.
- Bake about 35 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Leave a Reply