Cincinnati Vegetarian Chili has that special flavoring that makes it "Cincinnati." Can you guess what it is?
CINCINNATI VEGETARIAN CHILI is good football food.
Football season is wrapping up, heading to the Super Bowl soon. What are you serving these days? How about Cincinnati Vegetarian Chili? It's such a delicious meal-in-one. But it does have a secret ingredient.
Add a bit of cheese or Fritos to the top for special flavor. Get your veggies in by serving a garden salad with your chili, and you have a meal.
A good hearty chili can really warm you up on a rainy or cold day. Actually, I think anytime is a good time for chili! It's quick to make (read: easy!) and very filling.
What's the Secret Ingredient?
It's just one ingredient that changes chili into Cincinnati chili! This ingredient totally changes the flavor. What is it? The secret is cinnamon!
What You Need
For this recipe, you will need a good knife (affiliate link), a wonderful soup pot, measuring cups and spoons, and some terrific serving bowls and soup spoons. But what you really want is a great set of pans (affiliate link) and some fun serving dishes, right? Like, one of these chili pepper dinnerware sets.
Cincinnati Vegetarian Chili recipe
- 1 medium-to-large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon This is the ingredient that makes it "Cincinnati."
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon Red Hot sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cans 15-oz tomato sauce
- 2 cans 15-oz diced tomatoes
- 1 can chili beans
- 3 cans black beans rinsed—okay to substitute kidney beans or white beans
- 16 ounces Boca Burger Crumbles
- Fry the onions, garlic and spices in olive oil until onion is transparent. (I use a Dutch Oven to make my chili.)
- Add tomato sauce and tomatoes.
- Stir in vegetarian crumbles. (If you prefer a meat chili, you can substitute 2 pounds of cooked and crumbled ground beef for the veggie crumbles.)
- Add the beans.
- Stir to combine and heat on medium until everything is hot and bubbly.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, and taco chips, crackers or bread.