Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake might just be your new “go to” breakfast cake. It’s THAT good.
You remember May is “Eat Dessert First Month,” right? Well, start your day with this Sour Cream Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake for breakfast! It’s yummy. Yummy. Yummy. I love this coffee cake! And it’s easy to make. But you don’t want to eat it too often. It is loaded with fat and carbs.
Many years ago I found this terrific Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake in a cookbook by daughter Erin gave me, The Candle Cafe Cookbook by Joy Pierson and Bart Potenza with Barbara Scott-Goodman. In fact, I think this is the best coffee cake I have ever eaten. The cookbook inspired Don and me to go to the restaurant Candle 79 in NYC when we visited. Super food.
Since I never follow a recipe exactly as it is written, this time was no different. All the recipes in the cookbook are vegan, but I wanted to use the “real stuff” instead of the vegan substitutes. I will give you my version and the vegan alternative so you can make it whichever way you prefer.
What You Need
You will need measuring cups and spoons, an electric mixer, and a cake pan. But what you really want is a great cuppa coffee with your cake, right?
Sour Cream Cinnamon Crumb Cake Recipe
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
What a delicious coffee cake!
- 1/2 cup butter (or for vegan: 1 cup Spectrum Spread or other soy margarine)
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (unrefined sugar)
- 2 eggs (or for vegan: 1 tablespoon egg replacer dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups oatmeal ground into flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream (for vegan: use vegan sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Mix the Cake
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
Cream the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the milk and sour cream and mix until smooth. The batter will be quite thick.
Prepare the Topping
- Mix all the topping ingredients (cinnamon, sugar, pecans, almonds and butter) until everything is thoroughly mixed and coated with butter.
Layer the Cake & Topping & Bake
- Spray a 2-liter glass baking dish with Pam or baking oil (or and 8" x 10" cake pan) and pour half the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the topping mix onto the batter and follow that by the rest of the batter.
- Sprinkle on the remaining topping mix.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake springs back to touch or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Cherry Almond Coffee Cake
- Snickerdoodle Coffee Cake
- Mima’s Gluten Free Coffee Cake
- Wisconsin Kringle
- Gluten Free Lemon Cake