RECIPE IDEA: Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake. Yummy. Yummy. Yummy. Love this coffee cake! But you don’t want to eat it too often. It is loaded with fat and carbs.
I wanted to bring coffee cake to work today because one of our grant sponsors was coming to visit us to discuss a couple of projects. I found a terrific Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake in a cookbook by daughter Erin gave me a few years ago, The Candle Cafe Cookbook by Joy Pierson and Bart Potenza with Barbara Scott-Goodman. In fact, I think this is the best coffee cake I have ever eaten!
Since I never follow a recipe exactly as it is written, this time was no different. All the recipes in the cookbook are vegan, but I wanted to use the “real stuff” instead of the vegan substitutes. I will give you my version and the vegan alternative so you can make it whichever way you prefer.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- [b]Cake Ingredients: [/b]
- 1/2 cup butter (or for vegan: 1 cup Spectrum Spread or other soy margarine)
- 1 cup turbinado (unrefined) sugar
- 2 eggs (or for vegan: 1 tablespoon egg replacer dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups oatmeal ground into flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream (for vegan: see soy sour cream recipe below)
- [b]Topping Ingredients: [/b]
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- [b]Soy Sour Cream Vegan Ingredients (only use if you are not using sour cream as noted above):[/b]
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- Dash of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt (fine-grained)
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the milk and sour cream and mix until smooth. The batter will be quite thick.
- Mix all the topping ingredients (cinnamon, sugar, pecans, almonds and butter) until everything is thoroughly mixed and coated with butter.
- Spray a 2-liter glass baking dish with Pam or baking oil (or and 8″ x 10″ cake pan) and pour half the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the topping mix onto the batter and follow that by the rest of the batter.
- Sprinkle on the remaining topping mix.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake springs back to touch or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.