This Easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake is gluten free and quick to make. Just 10 minutes to whip it up and 35 minutes to bake. Eat it warm or at room temperature.
Did you know today is National Almond Day? I love almond extract so I made this easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake (Gluten Free) to share as a snack at Quaker Meeting recently. It’s pretty simple to make. The only trick with gluten free cakes and breads is that they need eggs (or something) to bind them together, and the batter needs to be whipped on high speed for a couple of minutes to whip some air into it and lighten it up a bit. When I want to make a cake with a hearty topping like this one, I bake the cake for a little while—in this case, 10 minutes—before adding the topping. Otherwise the topping will sink to the bottom and it won’t be as pretty. Of course, it will still taste super good.
The combination of sweetness, almond extract flavoring, and tart cherries is so good. I could sit down and eat the whole cake. Luckily, others at Meeting helped me. They ate more than half. If I was a purist, I would have topped it with chopped almonds. That would be super good, too.
What You Need
For this recipe, you will need a bowl, measuring cups and spoons, an electric mixer and a small food processor. And of course, almond extract and tart dried cherries.
Easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
Easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake (Gluten Free)
Sweet and tangy, an excellent treat anytime.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix the sugar, eggs, almond milk, and canola oil until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder on top of the previous ingredients. Give these dry ingredients a little stir to combine them, and then mix with the wet ingredients until combined.
- Whip on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8” x 10” cake pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350F degrees.
- While the cake is baking, in a small food processor, chop the cherries and pecans.
- Add the canola oil and brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Sprinkle the cherry-nut mixture over the top of the cake, and return it to the oven to bake another 25 minutes or so, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipe Idea Shop Recipes
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Almond Coffee Cake
- Snickerdoodle Coffee Cake
- Sour Cream Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
- Mima’s Gluten Free Coffee Cake
- Wisconsin Kringle