Strawberry Shortcake. Mmmmmm. A delightful summertime (or anytime) treat.
Don's Strawberry Shortcake
Did you know that June 14 is National Strawberry Shortcake Day? I love strawberries, especially fresh-picked, local ones. But since strawberries are available here in the grocery store year-round, this strawberry dessert is good comfort food for any special occasion. Don made this lovely treat for us early this spring before local strawberries were available. I use a gluten-free cake for mine instead of the flour-based shortcake.
You don't have to stick with strawberries. Use this shortcake recipe for any berry or fruit shortcake. We have had it with mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries) and with mangoes. It is terrific with mangoes!
What You Need
You'll need measuring cups and spoons, knives, an electric mixer, cookie sheets, bowls, and beautiful plates (affiliate link) on which to serve it. Buy the best kitchen tools you can afford.
Don's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter or vegetable shortening
- ⅔ cup half and half
- 1 egg beaten and mixed with half and half
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Drop in butter (in small bits).
- Cut butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender, tossing the pieces with the flour mixture to coat and separate them.
- For fluffy classic shortbread, continue to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course breadcrumbs.
- Do not allow the butter to melt or form a paste with the flour.
- Mix the half & half and with the beaten egg.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture all at once.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until most of the dry ingredients are moistened.
- With a lightly floured hand, gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5 to 10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is very clean.
- Roll out dough to a scant ¾-inch thick.
- Cut into 4-inch rounds.
- Place the shortcakes on a large ungreased baking sheet at least 1 inch apart for crusty sides.
- For browner tops, brush the tops of the biscuits with milk or melted butter.
- Bake at 450F degrees until golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes.
- After baking, cool and split the biscuits horizontally with a fork before filling.
Strawberries & Garnish
- Mix the sliced strawberries and sugar, and then top the shortcake with about ½ cup of this mixture.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top.
This recipe is NF, SF, V*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
More Recipes To Try
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
Leave a Reply