Strawberry Shortcake. Mmmmmm. A delightful summertime (or anytime) treat.
Don’s Strawberry Shortcake
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. I love strawberries, especially fresh-picked, local ones. But since strawberries are available here in the grocery store year-round, Strawberry Shortcake a good comfort food dessert for any special occasion. Remember that June 14 is National Strawberry Shortcake Day. Don made this lovely treat for us early this spring before local strawberries were available.
You don’t have to stick with strawberries. Use this shortcake recipe for any berry or fruit shortcake. We have had it with a mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries) and with mangoes. It is terrific with mangoes!
What You Need
You’ll need measuring cups and spoons, knives, an electric mixer, cookie sheets, bowls and beautiful plates on which to serve it. Buy the best you can afford.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Don's Strawberry Shortcake
- 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (or vegetable shortening)
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 egg (beaten and mixed with half and half)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Drop in butter (in small bits).
- Cut butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender, tossing the pieces with the flour mixture to coat and separate them.
- For fluffy classic shortbread, continue to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course breadcrumbs.
- Do not allow the butter to melt or form a paste with the flour.
- Mix the half & half and with the beaten egg.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture all at once.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until most of the dry ingredients are moistened.
- With a lightly floured hand, gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5 to 10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is very clean.
- Roll out dough to a scant 3/4-inch thick.
- Cut into 4-inch rounds.
- Place the shortcakes on a large ungreased baking sheet at least 1 inch apart for crusty sides.
- For browner tops, brush the tops of the biscuits with milk or melted butter.
- Bake at 450F degrees until golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes.
- After baking, cool and split the biscuits horizontally with a fork before filling.
- Top with sliced strawberries, sweetened with a little sugar, and fresh whipped cream. Yum!
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Strawberry Shortcake Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Strawberries Romanoff
- Mixed Berries Romanoff
- Strawberries and Peaches in Lemon with Coconut
- Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?