Strawberry Shortcake. Mmmmmm. A delightful summertime (or anytime) treat.
Don’s Strawberry Shortcake
Did you know that June 14 is National Strawberry Shortcake Day? I love strawberries, especially fresh-picked, local ones. But since strawberries are available here in the grocery store year-round, this strawberry dessert is good comfort food for any special occasion. Don made this lovely treat for us early this spring before local strawberries were available. I use a gluten-free cake for mine instead of the flour-based shortcake.
You don’t have to stick with strawberries. Use this shortcake recipe for any berry or fruit shortcake. We have had it with a mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries) and with mangoes. It is terrific with mangoes!
What You Need
You’ll need measuring cups and spoons, knives, an electric mixer, cookie sheets, bowls and beautiful plates (affiliate link) on which to serve it. Buy the best kitchen tools you can afford.
Strawberry Shortcake RecipePrint
Don’s Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet biscuit topped with strawberries and whipped cream
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (or vegetable shortening)
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 egg (beaten and mixed with half and half)
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Drop in butter (in small bits).
- Cut butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender, tossing the pieces with the flour mixture to coat and separate them.
- For fluffy classic shortbread, continue to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course breadcrumbs.
- Do not allow the butter to melt or form a paste with the flour.
- Mix the half & half and with the beaten egg.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture all at once.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until most of the dry ingredients are moistened.
- With a lightly floured hand, gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5 to 10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is very clean.
- Roll out dough to a scant ¾-inch thick.
- Cut into 4-inch rounds.
- Place the shortcakes on a large ungreased baking sheet at least 1 inch apart for crusty sides.
- For browner tops, brush the tops of the biscuits with milk or melted butter.
- Bake at 450F degrees until golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes.
- After baking, cool and split the biscuits horizontally with a fork before filling.
Strawberries & Garnish
- Mix the sliced strawberries and sugar, and then top the shortcake with about 1/2 cup of this mixture.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top.
Keywords: Strawberry Shortcake
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is NF, SF, V*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- Strawberries Romanoff
- Mixed Berries Romanoff
- Strawberries and Peaches in Lemon with Coconut
- Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie
- Gluten Free Lemon Cake
- Think You’re Gluten Intolerant?
- Really? I’m Allergic to Food?
- It Ain’t Just The Diet
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop June 15, 2016 and updated June 8, 2021.