Gluten Free Lemon Squares make a beautiful addition to any cookie tray. They are a tangy and sweet bar cookie that requires little fuss. And oh, so good!
It’s almost Don’s birthday. He asks for two things every year, Lemon Squares Cookies and Carrot Cake. He likes both whether they are gluten free or not. I’m the one who needs gluten free.
With gluten free flour, you have to add just a bit more butter to the shortbread cookie, which is the bottom of this Gluten Free Lemon Squares cookie. Bar cookies are so much easier to make than cut-out cookies (or even drop cookies). You can make a whole pan of 32 cookies at the same time instead of baking sheet after sheet of cookies.
Our daughter Abbi usually makes (wheat) Lemon Squares every year for her dad’s birthday, which is coming up early week. I believe her recipe is based on Don’s mom’s recipe. It’s really tasty, too. And both versions freeze well.
I model my recipe on a Betty Crocker recipe, and everyone knows Betty Crocker has good recipes! I modified the recipe found in Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book. The cookie recipes in it are super good.
Three Layers of Cookies
Here’s what the first layer (the shortbread cookie) looks like when baked:
Here’s what the cookies look like with the second layer added but before adding powdered sugar and cutting them:
Layer 3: Sprinkle with powdered sugar (add less than I did!), cut and serve:
You’re gonna wanna eat this.
What You Need
You will need measuring cups and spoons, an electric mixer, mixing bowls, and a cake pan or baking dish. But what you really want is a fabulous coffee maker and lovely plates, right?
Gluten Free Lemon Squares Recipe
Gluten Free Lemon Squares
Lemon Squares cookies are a bar cookie, baked in two layers and topped with powdered sugar. Sweet and tangy.
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter (i.e., 9 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (juice of about 1 lemon)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter should be firm and slightly cold.
Mix butter, gluten free flour or baking mix, and powdered sugar until mixed well and the dough looks like wet, pea-sized crumbles.
- Pat firmly into a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon juice and zest until thoroughly mixed. It will be a little foamy.
- Pour over cooled, baked shortbread crust.
- Return to oven and bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes, or until when you touch it, it doesn't show an imprint.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Dust top of cooled cookies with powdered sugar.
- Cut into 32 equal squares and serve.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Momma Betty’s Lemon Squares
- Chocolate Cherry Squares
- Shortbread Cookies
- Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies
- Garmer’s Rocks Date Spice Cookies