Grandma Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies can be rolled out and cut into shapes, frosted or left plain, sprinkled with sugar, or pressed into a round shape and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. It’s all good! Everyone raves about these brown sugar sugar cookies.
Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I loved my Grandma Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies! (And so did everyone else.)
My grandma, Sadie O’Connor Carter, died before I realized I should ask for this recipe. I tried sugar cookie, after sugar cookie recipe, trying to find one as delicious as my Grandma Sadie’s cookie.
Then my cousin said to me “Do you remember Grandma Sadie’s sugar cookie? I have the recipe!” Cousin Terry graciously sent it to me. I am very thankful to have this recipe. It is, hands down, the best cut-out Sugar Cookie recipe I have found.
Chill the Dough
It does take a bit of time, however, because you have to chill the dough at least an hour, roll the dough and then cut it with cookie cutters . So I suggest you make the dough the night before you want to bake Grandma Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies. When you take it out of the refrigerator, you will likely have to let it warm up a little bit or the dough won’t roll out very well. You can warm it by flattening it on the counter (or as I do, on a piece of waxed paper) and massaging it a little bit to loosen it up.
You Are Going to Need These for the Recipe
Roll Out & Cut
Then you roll it out with a rolling pin to about 1/4″ or even 1/8″ (for crispier cookies)—similar to the way you roll out pie crusts, from the middle to the outside so you can get a consistent depth for each cookie—and cut it out with cookie cutters.
Great With Gluten Free Flour
When I made them recently, I split the wet ingredients and made half the batch of cookies with wheat flour and half with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flours (1/2 Oatmeal and 1/2 Baking Mix), and added a teaspoon of Xanthin Gum to the Gluten Free version. When I had Don taste test them, he couldn’t tell the difference. The angel cookies are gluten free and the Christmas trees are regular flour.
Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies Recipe
Sadie's Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies
The BEST cut-out sugar cookie ever (IMHO).
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening (Crisco or Butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon warm water
- 4 cups flour (For Gluten Free: eliminate flour and substitute 2 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gulten Free Baking Flour and 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour + 1 teaspoon Xanthin Gum)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring optional
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- a few drops of food coloring
Cream brown sugar and shortening.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix in cream of tartar and salt.
- Add soda to warm water and then mix into dough.
Mix in flour 1 cup at a time. Dough will be a bit sticky.
- Chill overnight or at least one hour.
Roll out, cut and bake at 325F degrees for about 10-11 minutes or until the tops are turning a little brown.
Cool on racks.
While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting as follows and frost cookies when cool.
- Mix all the frosting ingredients with a spoon (or electric beater) until creamy smooth, but not liquid. Add a little milk or a little powdered sugar as needed to give it the right consistency.
- If you think the frosting is too sweet, add just a dash of salt and that will help reduce the sweetness.
- Frost cookies and top with sprinkles, nonpariels, cinnamon hearts, or other toppings.
- Store the frosted cookies in an airtight container with wax paper between layers.
- Grab and eat on the run or serve on a pretty plate for guests.
Be sure to make the dough ahead of time because you have to chill it at least an hour before rolling it out.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies Nutrition
Note: You can save a few calories if you eat Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies plain, without frosting, but why would you want to do that???
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Danish Sugar Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Coconut Kiss Cookies
- Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Squares