Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread is the BEST recipe I have found for GF bread that actually tastes like bread. This single-rise bread is excellent and easy.
Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread Tastes Like BREAD
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about my recent adventures in making Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread. I could eat this bread all day long. It actually tastes a lot like homemade regular bread. The texture is just a little different, a bit more gummy, but really good. I am so thrilled to be able to eat good bread again.
I have been working with my Amazing Gluten Free French Bread recipe, which is truly superior, trying to make a loaf bread that has the right texture all the way through it. This recipe is the result of my trials and errors. You have to use lots more yeast and bake it longer than the Amazing Gluten Free French Bread, but it’s SO good.
With gluten free bread, you don’t double rise it, either. I have found that if you try to punch the bread down and let it rise a second time, it doesn’t rise at all the second time. It’s super easy to make with a single rise. And a good quality mixer is a must since you have to whip Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread on high for three minutes. Whipping the batter adds air to the dough.
Val Staple, a friend, recently tried the bread and let me know she thought it was good. Her photo is below. I just noticed that she did not slice the top of the loaf and it looks great. I will have to check with her to see how she got the top to be so smooth. Mine never looks like that! What do you think?
When you put the dough in the loaf pan, it’s a sticky, gloppy mess, similar to Banana Bread dough. The crust doesn’t get quite as brown as homemade wheat bread, The Best Basic White Bread, but it’s still crusty and delicious. Spraying the top of the bread with baking spray helps it to brown, though.
If you are good at cutting homemade bread, you might get 20 slices from a loaf. If you have my cutting skills, it’s likely you will get about 18 slices.
To make this Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread, I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with bowl and whip attachment, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a small wire whisk, a rubber spatula, and a loaf pan. I use a serrated bread knife to cut the bread. I know you’re gonna wanna eat this. I do.
Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread Recipe
Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread
This Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread is the closest version of BREAD I have found. Excellent flavor and texture.
- 1/4 cup active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons of honey or sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water not too hot, make it like bathwater
- 3 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free One-to-One Baking Flour
- 1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Oil or baking spray
- In a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl, combine the water, sugar, and yeast.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar. I use a wire whisk to do this.
- Cover the cup with a clean cloth and set it aside until it is nice and bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- Using the wire whip attachment (not the dough hook or paddle) and the mixing bowl of your Kitchen Aid stand mixer, combine the flour, xanthan gum, and salt, and mix to combine.
- Add the yeast mixture, vinegar, oil, and eggs to the mixing bowl and mix on low to combine.
- Scrape down the sides once.
- Beat the dough on high for 3 minutes.
- Spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
- Scrape the dough into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Slice 3 to 5 deep, diagonal slits into the top of the loaf using a very sharp knife or razor blade. The slits allow the steam to escape as the bread cooks.
- Cover the loaf with a clean light-weight kitchen towel and set it in a warm, draft-free location to raise about 30 minutes, or until the loaf has raised about half again as much as it was. It won't double like regular bread dough.
- Heat the oven to 375F degrees.
- Spray the top of the loaf with baking spray (optional, to help it brown).
- Open the oven and spray the sides and top with water. Close the oven door and wait 2 minutes.
- Place the loaf in the oven on the middle rack.
- After 1 minute, open the oven and spray the sides and top of the oven with water again.
- Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes until the bread is starting to brown and sounds hollow when you tap it. At 40 minutes, I remove it from the pan and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes to harden the sides a bit.
- Take it out of the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
This is a single-rise bread!
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?