Hamburger Potato Lasagna became a dinner idea when we had an abundance of mashed potatoes left over from a previous meal. I know, huh? Who doesn’t eat all the mashed potatoes served?
Leftovers are the mother of invention. We had some leftover Mashed Potatoes last weekend after our Red & White Supper, so I decided to create a layered casserole, similar to lasagna but using the potatoes instead of noodles. I layered one layer of each of the ingredients, and the result was a tasty, gluten free supper that both kids and adults like. It’s a great way to use leftovers!
What’s a Red & White Supper, you ask? It was a good excuse to have a winter party. And since it was close to Valentine’s Day, we invited several friends and asked each of them to make and bring a red or white appetizer, salad or dessert. We provided the wine and main dish. What recipe would you make for such a party?
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a sauté pan and a casserole dish. Do yourself a favor and buy the best kitchen tools you can afford.
Hamburger Potato Lasagna Recipe
Hamburger Potato Lasagna Recipe
A layered casserole with potatoes, hamburger and cheese.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced, about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red pepper (diced, about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 pound hamburger
- Salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan, shredded)
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 7” x 9” glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly in the baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions and peppers for about 5 minutes.
- Spread the onions and peppers over the mashed potatoes.
- Next, layer the tomatoes over the previous layers.
- Sprinkle half the Pecorino Romano and Mozzarella over the layers.
- Crumble and fry the hamburger in the sauté pan until brown all the way through.
- Add the salt, pepper, thyme and oregano to the hamburger and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the hamburger mixture over the previous layers in the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheeses and bake at 350F degrees for about 30-40 minutes until hot all the way through.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- How to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Vegetable Lasagna Bechamel
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Oven Browned Potatoes
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Potatoes Anna
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?