Lentil Dahl is flavorful, but not spicy. It's the perfect meal for a busy day because you make it in the slow cooker, it's delicious, and it's filled with satisfying protein.
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl. Vegan. Gluten free. SO Tasty!
The first time I made this fabulous Lentil Dahl recipe it was for Quaker Movie Night at our house one cold February evening. I guess everyone liked it; every bit was all gone after supper. The original recipe came from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. Robertson has some of the best vegan cookbooks I have ever tried. I have several of her cookbooks and I love them.
This Lentil Dahl is flavorful, but not spicy. It's the perfect meal for any night, especially a rainy or cold winter's night. Add a Green Bean and Tomato Salad and you have a delicious, complete meal. It takes just 10 minutes to get everything in the slow cooker. Then cook the Lentil Dahl for about 6 hours.
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, garlic mincer, sautÃ© pan, measuring cups and measuring spoons, and a slow cooker, of course. You may need to add a timer to start your slow cooker (affiliate link) if you don't have a programmable slow cooker. A simple electric timer (affiliate link) and make your life so much easier.
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl Recipe
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 ½ cups dried brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1 15.5- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed (original recipe calls for kidney beans)
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the oil in a frying pan.
- Heat to medium hot.
- Cook the onion, garlic, ginger and the spices until the onion is transparent.
- Dump all of this into a 4-quart slow cooker that has been oiled or sprayed with cooking spray. Turn the temperature to low.
- Add the lentils, beans and water and cook for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve alone or with rice.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF, V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Like These Recipes & Posts From Recipe Idea Shop
- Lentil Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Turkish Lentils with Lamb
- French Green Lentils (How & Why to Make Them)
- Egyptian Lentils and Pasta
- Lentil Lemon and Tuna Salad
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop February 9, 2017 and updated February 12, 2021.