Lentil Dahl is flavorful, but not spicy. It’s the perfect meal for a busy day because you make it in the slow cooker, it’s delicious, and it’s filled with satisfying protein.
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl. Vegan. Gluten free. SO Tasty!
Hi. This is Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about a fabulous Lentil Dahl recipe. I made this for Quaker Movie Night at our house. I guess everyone liked it; it was all gone after supper! It came from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. Robertson has some of the best vegan cookbooks I have ever tried. I have several of her cookbooks and I love them.
It takes just 10 minutes to get everything in the slow cooker. Then cook the Lentil Dahl for about 6 hours. You may need to add a timer to start your slow cooker if you don’t have a programmable slow cooker. A simple electric timer can make your life so much easier.
This Lentil Dahl is flavorful, but not spicy. It’s the perfect meal for any night, especially a rainy or cold winter’s night. Add a Green Bean and Tomato Salad and you have a delicious, complete meal.
Check out the recipe.
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl Recipe
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl
Lentil Dahl takes just 10 minutes active, and 6 hours in the slow cooker. It's fabulous, filling and full of good nutrients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1 15.5- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed (original recipe calls for kidney beans)
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the oil in a frying pan.
- Heat to medium hot.
- Cook the onion, garlic, ginger and the spices until the onion is transparent.
Dump all of this into a 4-quart slow cooker that has been oiled or sprayed with cooking spray. Turn the temperature to low.
- Add the lentils, beans and water and cook for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve alone or with rice.
Based on Robin Robertson's recipe in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: https://www.robinrobertson.com
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime)account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hello Dahl-ly Lentil Dahl Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Lentil Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Turkish Lentils with Lamb
- French Green Lentils (How & Why to Make Them)
- Egyptian Lentils and Pasta
- Lentil Lemon and Tuna Salad