Mixed Berries Romanoff, similar to Strawberry Shortcake, but better. Any berries will be tasty in this simple recipe.
Mixed Berries Romanoff
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. When we make Mixed Berries Romanoff, Don makes the shortcake and I do the rest. Yes, it’s those Romanoffs. It was named for the royal family in Imperial Russia at whose court mostly French food was served. So you can imagine how good this is.
I changed Don’s Strawberries Romanoff from simply strawberries to a mixed berry combination of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Also, the original recipe calls for either Grand Marnier or Cointreau, but we didn’t have either, so I used Triple Sec. It was delicious.
What You Need
I use an electric hand mixer to make whipped cream. Don is more talented. He can do it with the old-fashioned mechanical hand mixer. You also need a smaller, deep bowl like a 2-cup measuring cup. If the bowl is too big and wide, it will be hard to whip the cream. Also, serve your dessert on a beautiful plate (for the shortcake version) or in a lovely champagne glass if you are simply serving the berries.
Mixed Berries Romanoff Recipe
Mixed Berries Romanoff
A delightfully light dessert.
- 2 pints of mixed berries: raspberries strawberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries (mango is good, too)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons powdered sugar divided in half
- 1/3 cup Triple Sec or Gran Marnier or Cointreau
- Zest of one orange or 1/2 teaspoon dried orange zest
- 1 cup heavy cream whipping
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Wash the berries and pat dry by blotting with paper towel.
- If you are using strawberries, remove stems and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl mix the sugar, 2 teaspoons powdered sugar, orange zest and Triple Sec until the granulated sugar is dissolved.
- Pour this mixture over the berries and lightly toss to be sure they are all coated with the liquid.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl until time to serve.
- Whip the heavy cream, adding the remaining 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar (and a few drops of vanilla extract if desired halfway through.)
- Serve the berries over shortcake with a dollop of whipped cream, or separately without the shortcake.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Mixed Berries Romanoff Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberries Romanoff
- Coconut Milk Whipped Cream
- Flourless Gluten Free Chocolate Chocolate Cake (Quinoa Chocolate Cake)
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?