Beef Stroganoff (Easy Recipe) is a deliciously simple peasant meal.
It’s great for those chilly fall or winter evenings when you need something simple, yet elegant. Don here, telling you about a meal my mom made at least once a month, Beef Stroganoff. This is her recipe.
It was one dish we all liked. She could start it when she got home from work and it would be ready before we were all ravishingly hungry. One of the pleasures of my youth was helping make this dish. I knew I came of age when she handed me the sharp knife and let me cut the onion.
What You Need
For this recipe, you will need a knife, cutting board, some measuring cups and spoons and good heavy bottomed pan. Buy the best you can afford. You’re worth it. And you want your tools to last a lifetime. But what you really want is some beautiful dinnerware. Am I right?
Momma Betty’s Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Momma Betty's Beef Stroganoff
A hearty peasant meal served over noodles
- 1 pound round steak
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1 medium onion (chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1 4-oz can of mushrooms (drained, reserve the liquid)
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce (or more to taste)
- 6 to 8 drops Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup catsup (ketchup)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional, add if it is too vinegary)
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet.
- Cut the round steak into bite-sized pieces, coat with flour and brown in the hot oil.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, reduce heat and cook until the onions are transparent.
- In the meantime, combine the sour cream, mushroom juice, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and pour over the meat in the skillet.
- Simmer for about an hour.
- If the sauce becomes too thick, use a little water, white wine or sherry to thin the sauce to the desired consistency. I like it thicker so it sticks to the meat and noodles.
- Serve on plates with your favorite rice or wide egg noodles.
- Add a slice of hearty bread and butter and a salad for a wonderful meal.
NOTE: If you want to use fresh mushrooms, brown them first in a little butter, then add to the stroganoff. Also, do NOT use stew meat; it is too tough.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Chicken Stroganoff
- Marinated Beef with Avocados
- Chicken Curry
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Easy Oven Roasted Spatchcocked Chicken
- Croatian Grilled Chicken
- Easy Non-dairy Chicken Curry
- Pecan Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?