Chicago Style Italian Beef Recipe (slow cooker) is so stinkin’ good. It tastes just like the ones you buy in Chicago (except you need to add the peppers and onions to your sandwich). Easy peasy. Great option for any party.
Chicago Style Italian Beef is an easy slow cooker recipe.
Today (November 3) is National Sandwich Day so I’m reposting one of my all-time favorite sandwiches, a slow-cooker Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich. I have been hungry for an Italian Beef Sandwich so I decided to make one. It’s excellent, and we really enjoyed it. Don said it was about as good as you can get, not being in Chicago.
I have made these sandwiches a few times for our kids and grandkids and there are never any complaints. Despite the fact that the beef is a little spicy from the pepperoncinis and pepper, they love it (at least the teenagers do!). People are far too busy eating and asking for more!
The recipe is easy. It’s the waiting that’s hard. When the holidays come around, remember that this sandwich is the perfect party food. Offer small crispy rolls, Crusty French Bread rolls or hamburger buns for a party. So delicious!
Types of Beef to Use
Note: You can use any boneless beef roast, such as top sirloin, top round, bottom round or chuck roast (listed most preferable to least preferable) for this recipe. If you use chuck—which is more flavorful—you will need to chill the drippings and skim the fat before eating.
What You Need
I don’t know about you, but I love my Crock-Pot slow cooker. I have one like this, and it works great. I especially love that the pot can be lifted out to store or to clean. It has three settings—keep warm, low and high. In the past I’ve commented about using the all-in-one programmable slow cooker or an Instant Pot, but I haven’t tried it so I’ll leave that to your judgement. All you really need is measuring cups and spoons, some kind of slow cooker, a knife and a cutting board.
Chicago Style Italian Beef Recipe (Slow Cooker)Print
Chicago Style Italian Beef Slow Cooker Sandwich
The best Chicago Style Italian Beef Slow Cooker Sandwich outside of the Midwest!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- 1 boneless beef roast (about 3 pounds with most of the fat trimmed off)
- 1 teaspoon or more, according to taste ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (red pepper flakes)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 6 cups of hot water
- 4 cubes of beef bouillon (or no water and 6 cups of beef broth)
- Hard Rolls (Hoagie Rolls or French Bread, sliced lengthwise and still hinged)
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pepperoncini peppers (optional)
- Place the minced garlic and sliced onion in the crock pot.
- Add the water and bouillon.
- Mix all of the rub ingredients in a small bowl and then rub it all over the beef, massaging it into the meat.
- There will be some of the rub left over.
- Dump it into the broth, and stir to mix.
- Place the meat in the broth and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About one-half hour before serving, make the onions and peppers topping in a frying pan, frying over medium heat in the olive oil until they are tender. Set aside.
- Remove the meat from the broth and let cool before slicing.
- Slice the meat thin and return it to the hot broth just long enough to heat through.
- Serve sliced beef on rolls.
- Top with cooked peppers and onions and a little bit of broth.
- Also top with pepperoncini peppers, if desired.
Simple slow cooker recipe you will want to make over and over.
- Serving Size: About 4 ounces of beef with a hard roll and toppings
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 284 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 28.8 g
- Cholesterol: 84 mg
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF (use a GF roll), DF, NF, SF, EF*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop December 1, 2016 and updated November 3, 2021.