Chicago Style Italian Beef Recipe (slow cooker) is so stinkin’ good. It tastes just like the ones you buy in Chicago (except you need to add the peppers and onions to your sandwich). Easy peasy. Great option for any party.
I love this Chicago Style Italian Beef recipe. I have been hungry for an Italian Beef Sandwich so I decided to make one. It’s excellent, and we really enjoyed it. Don said it was about as good as you can get, not being in Chicago. Since we aren’t traveling right now because of the pandemic, I had to make my own.
I have made these sandwiches a few times for our kids and grandkids and there are never any complaints. Despite the fact that the beef is a little spicy from the pepperoncinis and pepper, they love it. People are far too busy eating and asking for more!
The recipe is easy. It’s the waiting that’s hard. When the holidays come around, remember that this sandwich is the perfect party food. Offer small crispy rolls, Crusty French Bread rolls or hamburger buns for a party. So delicious!
Types of Beef to Use
Note: You can use any boneless beef roast, such as top sirloin, top round, bottom round or chuck roast (listed most preferable to least preferable) for this recipe. If you use chuck—which is more flavorful—you will need to chill the drippings and skim the fat before eating.
What You Need
I don’t know about you, but I love my Crock-Pot slow cooker. I have one like this, and it works great. I especially love that the pot can be lifted out to store or to clean. It has three settings—keep warm, low and high. But I must say, I love my Instant Pot and the next time I make this, I will probably use that! All you really need is measuring cups and spoons, some kind of slow cooker, a knife and a cutting board.
Chicago Style Italian Beef Recipe (Slow Cooker)
Chicago Style Italian Beef Slow Cooker Sandwich
- 1 boneless beef roast about 3 pounds with most of the fat trimmed off
- 1 teaspoon or more, according to taste ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 onions sliced
- 6 cups of hot water
- 4 cubes of beef bouillon or no water and 6 cups of beef broth
- Hard Rolls Hoagie Rolls or French Bread, sliced lengthwise and still hinged
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pepperoncini peppers optional
- Place the minced garlic and sliced onion in the crock pot.
- Add the water and bouillon.
- Mix all of the rub ingredients in a small bowl and then rub it all over the beef, massaging it into the meat.
- There will be some of the rub left over.
- Dump it into the broth, and stir to mix.
- Place the meat in the broth and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, make the onions and peppers topping in a frying pan, frying over medium heat in the olive oil until they are tender. Set aside.
- Remove the meat from the broth and let cool before slicing.
- Slice the meat thin and return it to the hot broth just long enough to heat through.
- Serve sliced beef on rolls.
- Top with cooked peppers and onions and a little bit of broth.
- Also top with pepperoncini peppers, if desired.
Simple slow cooker recipe you will want to make over and over.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- BLT Sandwich
- Classic Corned Beef Reuben
- Halloumi Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- Portabella Reuben Sandwich
- Fried Egg Sandwich
- The Perfect Prime Rib