Vegetable Dill Stew, made in your slow cooker, is a robust, vegan dish I can eat again and again. Mushrooms, potatoes, onions, fennel...how could it not be amazing?
Vegetable Dill Stew is a delectable meal.
Continuing with November's Vegan Awareness monthly theme, let me introduce this delicious slow cooker recipe, Vegetable Dill Stew. The spices in it are super good and the colorful, vegan stew is packed with flavor. I have made it several times and taken it to potlucks, always sharing it to rave reviews. It's a keeper. Give it a try and comment below how you like it.
Add a simple salad and a bit of Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread, and you will be so happy. The original recipe is based on a recipe called "Three Sisters Stew" from one of my favorite cookbooks, Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites cookbook (affiliate link). When in doubt, check Moosewood!
Going to Moosewood Restaurant has been on my bucket list for many years. Don and I checked off the list last year when we were in Ithaca, New York.
I love their cookbooks. And I loved their restaurant. This is what I had for lunch...
What You Need
For this recipe, you need a slow cooker, knives, measuring cups and spoons, and a good set of pans, particularly a skillet. Always buy the best you can afford and you'll never be sorry. Buy cookware that lasts a lifetime.
Vegetable Dill Stew Recipe
Vegetable Dill Stew
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions cut in chunks
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red pepper cut in chunks
- 1 fennel bulb cut in slices
- 3 carrots peeled and cut in rounds
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 1 pound of button mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 8-10 small red potatoes quartered
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed fronds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- pepper and salt to taste I didn't add either
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the vegetables until slightly browned. I did each vegetable (except the potatoes) one after the other in the skillet, then poured them into the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, chickpeas, spices and vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF (use sea salt), V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Slow Cooker Red Pasta Sauce
- Slow Cooker Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- French Vegetable Stew
- Roasted Ratatouille with Corn
- Indian Ratatouille
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop Nov. 11, 2019 and updated Nov. 5, 2020.
Last Updated on May 23, 2022 by Adriana