RECIPE IDEA: Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie, a Summer Treat
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I wish I had some fresh tomatoes right now to make this pie. It’s a delightful, light entree for brunch, lunch or supper. It has taken me awhile to put this recipe up for you, but trust me on this, you will want to make it for your next family gathering.
With tomatoes available year around in the U.S., we don’t have to be stymied by a lack of available fruits. Of course, the tomatoes that you get in the supermarket don’t have as much flavor as a good homegrown tomato. But you can generally get excellent Roma or Grape Tomatoes year round, so use those. Roma tomatoes are good because they are a firm tomato that doesn’t have as much juice, so they are terrific for cooking.
- Pam cooking spray
- 1 [url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/sweet-gluten-free-pie-crust/” target=”_blank”]gluten free pie crust[/url]
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pecorino Romano Cheese (or Parmesan)
- 6 large Roma tomatoes (or 3 regular tomatoes), sliced
- 2 tablespoons [url href=”https://www.bobsredmill.com” target=”_blank”]Bob’s Red Mill Baking Mix[/url]
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Basil to garnish
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion about 8-10 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray (Pam) and place the Gluten Free Pie Crust in the plate.
- Press the crust into the plate and crimp the edges along the rim.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over the crust.
- Layer 1/2 the tomatoes slices over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the chopped basil, flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese.
- If you would like to keep the rim of your pie from burning, place a pie shield over it when baking.
- Bake the pie about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with additional basil. [br] [url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]