Refreshing and light, this Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie is scrumptious anytime of the year.
Fresh tomatoes and fresh basil make this Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie absolutely mouth-watering. I think I need to make some right now. It’s a delightful, light entree for brunch, lunch or supper. This is a layered pie that is simple to make. There’s no need to pre-bake the crust. Start by sautéing the onion, and then you simply layer the ingredients and bake!
Use Gluten Free or Traditional Pie Crust
You can, of course, use a traditional pie crust for this pie, but then it won’t be gluten free. This Tomato Basil Pie is especially good in the summertime, but with tomatoes available year around in the U.S., we don’t have to be stymied by a lack of available fruits. Of course, the tomatoes that you get in the supermarket don’t have as much flavor as a good homegrown tomato. But you can generally get excellent Roma or Grape Tomatoes year round, so use those when tomatoes are out of season. Roma tomatoes are good because they are a firm tomato that doesn’t have as much juice, so they are terrific for cooking.
What You Need
You’ll need a good knife, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a sauté pan, a pie plate and a cheese shredder. But what you really want is some fabulous dinnerware and stemware to serve your pie to your family and guests. Am I right?
Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie Recipe
Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie
Flavorful and light main dish pie.
- Cooking spray (such as Pam)
- 1 Gluten free pie crust
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pecorino Romano Cheese (or Parmesan)
- 6 large Roma tomatoes (or 3 regular tomatoes, sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves (fresh, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Basil to garnish (fresh)
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion about 8-10 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray (Pam) and place the Gluten Free Pie Crust in the plate.
- Press the crust into the plate and crimp the edges along the rim.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over the crust.
Layer 1/2 the tomato slices over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the chopped basil, flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the pie about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with additional basil.
If you would like to keep the rim of your pie from burning, place a pie shield over it when baking.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Quiche
- Asparagus Tomato Frittata
- Spinach Red Pepper Frittata
- Bacon Artichoke Kalamata Frittata
- Mushroom Omelet
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?