Mexican Chicken Soup is the best chicken soup ever, in my humble opinion. Great cold and illness fighter. It’s so delicious, you might want to eat it every day. It freezes well, so keep some in your freezer for when you need a stupendous chicken soup.
July 31st is National Avocado Day, and what better way to eat avocados than in an amazing Mexican Chicken Soup? Yup you add avocados at the end of the cooking process and it’s super good.
This recipe is truly my all-time favorite healing soup. As you may have realized, my mission in life is making food that heals and nourishes you. I make this soup regularly to help my friends and our family stay well or fight off viruses. We nee he power of chicken soup.
I know that power. I eat Mexican Chicken Soup and I immediately feel better. Think you’re getting a cold? Eat some chicken soup. And if you’re going to eat it, why not eat the best chicken soup ever? It freezes well, too, so when you make it, save some in the freezer for the next time you are feeling “puny” (as they say in Virginia when you just feel a little under the weather).
This Mexican Chicken Soup recipe calls for a five-pound chicken. It doesn’t have to be exactly five pounds; four pounds will do. The original recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens’ Mexican Cook Book. I love this cookbook; the recipes are all super good.
The addition of avocado just before serving makes the recipe unique and especially tasty. See what you think, and be sure to comment below when you make it. Do you like the avocado?
What You Need
For this recipe you need a big soup pot, knives, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a vegetable peeler. As always, I suggest you buy the best kitchen tools you can afford.
Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
Mexican Chicken Soup
The BEST chicken soup ever! Good cold fighter. The flavor is amazing. Tomatoes and chicken broth will perk you right up.
- 1 4-5 pound stewing chicken
- 6 cups water
- 3 to 4 onion slices
- 3 stalks of celery (cut up)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and sliced in rounds)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules (See Note for Alternative)
- 1 small zucchini (thinly sliced in rounds, and then quartered)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small avocado (seeded, peeled and sliced or cut in bite-sized pieces)
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, combine the chicken, water, onion slices, celery, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to a simmer.
- Simmer for about two hours until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the broth.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken to the broth. Throw out the bones and the old vegetables.
- Add undrained tomatoes, sliced carrots, chopped onions and the bouillon.
- Simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the zucchini and peas.
- Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Add the avocado just before serving.
If you are avoiding preservatives and additives, do not use the bouillon cube. Instead add 1/2 teaspoon each of: thyme leaves, rosemary, marjoram, fennel seeds, and sage. Also add about 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Smoking Butternut Squash Soup
- Carrot Cauliflower Lemon Thyme Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Soup
- French Vegetable Stew
- Croatian Grilled Chicken