Mexican Chicken Soup is the best chicken soup ever, in my humble opinion. Great cold fighter. So delicious, you might want to eat it every day. It freezes well, so keep some in your freezer for when you need a stupendous chicken soup.
Mexican Chicken Soup, Excellent Cold Fighter
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about my all-time favorite soup, Mexican Chicken Soup. I am a big believer in the power of chicken soup. I eat it and I immediately feel better. Think you’re getting a cold? Eat some chicken soup. And if you’re going to eat it, why not eat the best chicken soup ever? It freezes well, too, so when you make it, save some in the freezer for the next time you are feeling “puny” (as they say in Virginia when you just feel a little under the weather).
This Mexican Chicken Soup recipe calls for a five-pound chicken. It doesn’t have to be exactly five pounds; four pounds will do. The original recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens’ Mexican Cook Book. I love this cookbook; the recipes are all super good.
The addition of avocado just before serving makes the recipe unique and especially tasty. See what you think, and be sure to comment below when you make it. Do you like the avocado? Check out the recipe.
Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
Mexican Chicken Soup
The BEST chicken soup ever! Good cold fighter. The flavor is amazing. Tomatoes and chicken broth will perk you right up.
- 1 4-5 pound stewing chicken
- 6 cups of water
- 3 to 4 onion slices
- 3 stalks of celery cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 small zucchini thinly sliced in rounds, and then quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small avocado seeded, peeled and sliced (or cut in bite-sized pieces)
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, combine the chicken, water, onion slices, celery, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to a simmer.
- Simmer for about two hours until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the broth.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken to the broth. Throw out the bones and the old vegetables.
- Add undrained tomatoes, sliced carrots, chopped onions and the bouillon.
- Simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the zucchini and peas.
- Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Add the avocado just before serving.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime)account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Mexican Chicken Soup Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Smoking Butternut Squash Soup
- Carrot Cauliflower Lemon Thyme Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Soup
- French Vegetable Stew
- Croatian Grilled Chicken