Mexican Chicken Soup is the best chicken soup ever, in my humble opinion. Great cold and illness fighter. It’s so delicious, you might want to eat it every day. It freezes well, so keep some in your freezer for when you need a stupendous chicken soup.
Mexican Chicken Soup helps me stay well.
This recipe is truly my all-time favorite healing soup. As you may have realized, my mission in life is making food that heals and nourishes you. I make this soup regularly to help my friends and our family stay well or fight off viruses. We need the power of chicken soup, especially in these times.
I know that power. I eat Mexican Chicken Soup and I immediately feel better. Think you’re getting a cold? Eat some chicken soup. And if you’re going to eat it, why not eat the best chicken soup ever? It freezes well, too, so when you make it, save some in the freezer for the next time you are feeling “puny” (as they say in Virginia when you just feel a little under the weather).
This Mexican Chicken Soup recipe calls for a five-pound chicken. It doesn’t have to be exactly five pounds; four pounds will do. The original recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens’ Mexican Cook Book (affiliate link). I love this cookbook; the recipes are all super good.
The addition of avocado just before serving makes the recipe unique and especially tasty. See what you think, and be sure to comment below when you make it. Do you like the avocado?
What You Need
For this recipe you need a big soup pot, knives, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a vegetable peeler. As always, I suggest you buy the best kitchen tools you can afford.
Mexican Chicken Soup RecipePrint
Mexican Chicken Soup
The BEST chicken soup ever! Good cold fighter. The flavor is amazing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 4-5 pound stewing chicken
- 6 cups water
- 3 to 4 onion slices
- 3 stalks of celery (cut up)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16–ounce can diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and sliced in rounds)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules (See note for alternative.)
- 1 small zucchini (thinly sliced in rounds, and then quartered)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small avocado (seeded, peeled and sliced or cut in bite-sized pieces)
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, combine the chicken, water, onion slices, celery, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to a simmer.
- Simmer for about two hours until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the broth.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken to the broth. Throw out the bones and the old vegetables.
- Add undrained tomatoes, sliced carrots, chopped onions and the bouillon.
- Simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the zucchini and peas.
- Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the avocado just before serving.
If you are avoiding preservatives and additives, do not use the bouillon cube. Instead add 1/2 teaspoon each of: thyme leaves, rosemary, marjoram, fennel seeds, and sage. Also add about 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 688.7 mg
- Fat: 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 41.7 g
- Cholesterol: 192.8 mg
Keywords: mexican chicken soup, chicken soup,
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop November 22, 2016 and updated September 14, 2021.