Recipe Idea: Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas and Kale (Vegan)
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about some super Black Eyed Peas and Kale that we had for supper awhile ago. Did you know that in the South (U.S.) you are supposed to eat Black Eyed Peas on New Year’s Day to promote good fortune for the coming year? Years ago, when Don and I lived in Williamsburg, Virginia, we were invited to a Black Eyed Peas party to ring in the new year. It was a fun excuse to eat good food and socialize.
History of Black Eyed Peas
When I researched it, I found that during the Civil War, black eyed peas were considered “animal food.” When the Union soldiers came through an area, they often took most of the food, leaving the black eyed peas because they were considered inedible. Surprise! They are not only edible, they are delicious and nutritious! Black eyed peas are usually white or tan with a darker spot (eye). For some reason, mine are a darker variety and look more like red beans. No worries, though. You can use red beans for this recipe if you want.
Down Home Vegan
We have eaten a lot of meat lately so I made this vegan meal from one of my favorite cookbooks, Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. Along with some Cornbread, it was a good “down home” meal. This recipe is best made in a slow cooker with the peas cooking 5-6 hours.
I think anytime is a good time for this Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas and Kale! It’s vegan, gluten free and totally amazing.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the carrots in 1/2 lengthwise and then cut each half in 1/2-inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the shallots a few minutes.
- Then add the carrots and continue to saute until the shallots are transparent and the carrots begin to brown.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for about 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the peas, vegetable stock and pepper.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- A half hour before serving, remove the stems from the kale and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook kale in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes until the greens are tender but still bright green.
- Drain the greens and stir them into the pot of peas.
- Serve over a bed of wide noodles, along with a salad and some [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/crusty-french-rolls/” target=”_blank”]Crusty French Bread[/url] or [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/jalapeno-cornbread/” target=”_blank”]Jalapeño Cornbread[/url].