Recipe Idea: Eggplant Gina
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, updating this Eggplant Gina recipe, which I recently found again in the book Reversing Diabetes by Julian Whitaker, MD. The recipe is easy, tasty, and good for you. Now, how can anything be good for you if it tastes good? Start with fresh veggies, don’t use too much fat, and eat a reasonable portion.
Dr. Whitaker makes a good case for eating better to change your health outcomes. It worked for me! Read more about How I Healed Myself With Food.
Eggplant Gina is a layered, baked dish that takes just a few minutes to prepare. Then relax while it bakes. Dr. Whitaker says this recipe feeds two, but it’s four servings for me, so I provided the nutrition for both servings.
The tools I use for this recipe are: a chef’s knife (my favorite style), a cutting board, measuring cups and measuring spoons, and a 9-by-b13 baking dish. What would you use?
You’re gonna wanna eat this.
BUT FIRST, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?
- 1 medium eggplant sliced in rounds (approx 12 slices)
- 16 oz fresh mushrooms sliced, or 8 oz canned, rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 15 oz spaghetti sauce low salt/low sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds optional
- Parmesan cheese optional
- Layer first five ingredients in a 9" x 13" pan in the order listed, repeat to make multiple layers like lasagna.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 45 minutes.
- Top with sesame seeds and shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.