Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad is so scrumptious, you'll want to add it to your recipe repertoire and make it often.
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad is a Southern tradition.
This delicious Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad is beautiful and makes an excellent main dish salad or a side salad. Some people always serve black eyed peas in January to ring in prosperity. It's a tradition in the U.S. South. I eat them because they are tasty.
Looking for More Vegetarian Recipes?
I was looking for some traditional American foods and I found this recipe in a terrific Moosewood cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special (affiliate link), that my daughter Erin gave me several years ago for Mother's Day (thanks, Erin!). I absolutely love Moosewood recipes, and the ones in this cookbook are the best. Whenever I need a good vegetarian or vegan recipe, I look to Moosewood for inspiration. Of course, I always change a few things.
WHAT YOU NEED
You will need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and mixing bowls. If you want to cook dried black-eyed peas for this recipe, get yourself an Instant Pot. It makes cooking beans a snap.
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 6 green onions (scallions, sliced in rounds (white and tender green parts only) or ½ cup diced red onions)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 shakes Tabasco sauce (or other hot pepper sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Sliced scallions (sliced in rounds)
- Smoked Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Combine the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and toss to coat.
- Set aside and allow the flavors to intensify for 20-30 minutes (or more).
- Garnish with scallions and/or smoked Cheddar, if desired.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF (use sea salt), V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Like These Recipes & Posts From Recipe Idea Shop
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas and Kale
- Black Eyed Peas White Chili
- Cincinnati Vegetarian Chili
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
Leave a Reply