Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad is so scrumptious, it might bring you good luck in the new year!
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea shop, telling you about a delicious Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad I made for a social gathering I had awhile ago. I was looking for some traditional American foods and I found this recipe in a terrific Moosewood cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special, that my daughter Erin gave me for Mother’s Day (thanks, Erin!) in 2012. This one was quite a hit at the event. I thought it was delicious and beautiful.
Ring In the New Year
At least one American tradition involves black eyed peas. If you live in the U.S. South, you are supposed to eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day to assure prosperity in the coming year. What better way to eat them than in this Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad? Nutritious. Delicious. And beautiful. And if it brings you good fortune, all the better!
Looking for More Vegetarian Recipes?
I absolutely love Moosewood recipes, and the ones in this cookbook are the best. Whenever I need a good vegetarian or vegan recipe, I look to Moosewood for inspiration. I highly recommend this cookbook:
If you are from the Northern U.S., there’s a different tradition on New Year’s Eve:
Ribs & Sauerkraut! In our household, we have one from the North and one from the South, so we get to eat both!
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 6 green onions (scallions, sliced in rounds (white and tender green parts only) or 1/2 cup diced red onions)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 shakes Tabasco sauce (or other hot pepper sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sliced scallions (sliced in rounds)
- Smoked Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Combine the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and toss to coat.
- Set aside and allow the flavors to intensify for 20-30 minutes (or more).
- Garnish with scallions and/or smoked Cheddar, if desired.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Louisiana Black Eyed Pea Salad Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas and Kale
- Black Eyed Peas White Chili
- Cincinnati Vegetarian Chili
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
- Don’s Dry Rub Ribs