Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is packed with tasty veggies, including a surprising one.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad good meatless vegan dish.
How about serving an interesting vegan side dish (or main dish) on Thanksgiving? Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is not only interesting, it's really tasty. Pairing quinoa with spaghetti squash is inspired, right?
The quinoa gives it a little nutty flavor; the veggies make it refreshing; and the spaghetti squash adds a uniqueness that can't be beat! It can be made ahead and served either hot or cold.
The recipe is originally from The Complete Idiot's Guide Quinoa Cookbook by Susan Irby. Quite frankly, I can't remember what I changed in the recipe. It taught me a new way to make spaghetti squash: you just cut it in half, remove the seeds and bake it, cut side up, at 400F degrees for 40 minutes.
This salad is a terrific option anytime you want a vegan dish, especially if you need a dish for a "carry in" (as they call them in the South) or a "potluck supper" (for you Northerners).
What You Need
For this recipe, you need measuring cups and spoons, a good knife, cutting board, baking dish, 4-quart pan, and a nice casserole dish to serve the salad in. Jazz it up by using your favorite dishes.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Recipe
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (cut in ½ and seeds removed)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (cut in quarters)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium cucumber (diced)
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives (chopped)
- 1 bunch green onions (white and tender green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the squash cut side up on the pan and bake for 40 minutes until tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- When cool, use a fork to remove the squash from the skin. It should look like spaghetti now!
- In a 4-quart saucepan, mix the quinoa with the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cook covered for about 15-20 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed the stock and is tender.
- Mix the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, olives, green onions, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the quinoa and squash and mix to combine.
- Serve warm or cold.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!