Slow Cooker Spicy Black Beans and Apricots has the flavor of an African recipe.
Spicy Black Beans and Apricots the perfect meal-in-one.
Spicy Black Beans and Apricots tastes like a combination of the Caribbean Islands and Africa. Bursting with spices, a bit of sweetness and the wholesomeness of black beans, this meal in one is perfect with a simple side salad. It only takes about 15 minutes of active time, and then cooks for about 6 hours in the slow cooker.
I adapted this recipe from Robin Robertson's Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I absolutely love this cookbook. The recipes are all creative and delicious. And I often have all the ingredients on hand without having to run to the store. For this recipe, I substituted dried apricots for mangoes and added chickpeas to Roberson's Spicy Black Beans and Rice with Mangoes recipe.
What You Need
You'll need a slow cooker, of course, along with a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons. Dried apricots are a must.
Spicy Black Beans and Apricots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped, about ½ cup)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped, about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (about 1-½ inches, peeled and grated)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15.5-ounce can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup dried apricots (diced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat the oil until hot in a medium skillet.
- Add the onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add the bell peppers and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, jalapeños, ginger, cumin, allspice, and oregano and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer this combination to the slow cooker.
- Add the beans, chickpeas, brown sugar, apricots, salt, pepper and water and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- An hour before serving, add the rice and stir.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Gluten-Free Pasta Nicoise Salad
- French Barley Salad
- Barley Apple Walnut Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Cranberries and Nuts
- Baked Rice
- Yellow Rice and Beans
- Vegan Mexican Red Rice
- Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Last Updated on May 24, 2022 by Adriana