Slow Cooker Spicy Black Beans and Apricots has the flavor of an African recipe.
Spicy Black Beans and Apricots tastes like a combination of the Caribbean Islands and Africa. Bursting with spices, a bit of sweetness and the wholesomeness of black beans, this meal in one is perfect with a simple side salad. It only takes about 15 minutes of active time, and then cooks for about 6 hours in the slow cooker.
I adapted this recipe from Robin Robertson’s Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I absolutely love this cookbook. The recipes are all creative and delicious. And I often have all the ingredients on hand without having to run to the store. For this recipe, I substituted dried apricots for mangoes and added chickpeas to Roberson’s Spicy Black Beans and Rice with Mangoes recipe.
What You Need
You’ll need a slow cooker, of course, along with a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons. Dried apricots are a must.
Spicy Black Beans and Apricots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped, about 1/2 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped, about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (about 1-1/2 inches, peeled and grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15.5-ounce can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup dried apricots (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat the oil until hot in a medium skillet.
- Add the onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add the bell peppers and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, jalapeños, ginger, cumin, allspice, and oregano and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer this combination to the slow cooker.
- Add the beans, chickpeas, brown sugar, apricots, salt, pepper and water and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- An hour before serving, add the rice and stir.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Gluten-Free Pasta Niçoise Salad
- French Barley Salad
- Barley Apple Walnut Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Cranberries and Nuts
- Baked Rice
- Yellow Rice and Beans
- Vegan Mexican Red Rice
- Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?