Spicy Shredded Chicken (Slow Cooker Recipe) bursts in your mouth. Ten minute prep, 4-6 hours in the slow cooker, and pow! You have an easy, amazing supper everyone raves about.
Spicy Shredded Chicken
You'll love this easy slow cooker Spicy Shredded Chicken recipe: perfect over rice or in a taco salad. It's a simple dump and slow cook for a few hours. Put the chicken in frozen. It stays juicier. This recipe is spicier than my other recipe for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken. I like both recipes. You might, too. I ate mine stuffed in Scoops Taco Chips. It was delicious. I think it would be even better in a crispy taco bowl with lettuce and tomatoes, topped with sour cream, but then you'd have all those extra calories, wouldn't you?
Inventing the Recipe
I was planning to make my other slow cooker chicken recipe. I always have frozen chicken breasts, but with this stupid pandemic going on, we only had a little bit of salsa. So I substituted what I had available. And it was even better than the original recipe.
I always keep canned tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, garlic, fresh onions, and (jarred) diced jalapeÃ±os on hand. They are lifesavers. I was happy I had an orange bell pepper and taco seasoning, too. I was a little worried about whether I would have taco seasoning. I often don't keep that in my pantry. If I didn't have it, I would have used some cumin, chili powder, and either cayenne pepper or hot paprika to make my own.
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, a slow cooker, measuring cups, and spoons. Simple. But what you really want is some fun margarita glasses, right? Because you know you're going to have margaritas with this meal.
Spicy Shredded Chicken (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- 6 large (8 ounce) frozen chicken breasts or 3 lbs chicken tenders
- ¼ cup medium hot salsa
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ green pepper chopped (or any color bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño peppers (I use the kind that comes in a jar.)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Place the frozen chicken in the slow cooker.
- Dump in all the other ingredients, and mix them a little to blend the spices.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours for chicken breasts, or 4 hours for tenders.
- A few minutes before serving, use 2 forks to shred the chicken, returning it to the sauce.
- Serve over rice or wrap in tortillas with lettuce and tomatoes if you prefer a burrito or taco.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes
- Baked Chicken Breast Over Stuffing
- Sloppy Joes
- Chicago Style Italian Beef (Slow Cooker)
- Croatian Grilled Chicken
- Tortilla Casserole
- Portabella Reuben Sandwich
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
Lois Carter Crawford is an author, home chef, health advocate, and food coach who fought her way back from several debilitating health issues, including a moderate heart attack! She discovered that inflammation caused by the food she ate was the underlying cause of most of her health problems and developed a method and tools to help others research their food sensitivities.