Sloppy Joes. You love ’em. Kids love ’em. They are very easy to make.
Sloppy Joes make great picnic, party or anytime food.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. Two of our grandkids had a joint birthday party over the weekend, and I brought Sloppy Joes. Although they can be a little messy (hence the “sloppy” in the title), Sloppy Joes are easy to make and most people like them. They also work well in a crockpot so you can keep them warm if you have people dropping in for a bite to eat at different times. I often use the smaller “slider” buns for parties rather than full-sized hamburger buns to serve.
I make mine with 95% lean ground beef, but you could substitute ground turkey, ground chicken, or vegetarian crumbles, or a combination of these. If I know I will have vegetarians at a party, I make a batch of Sloppy Joes using beef and another batch that’s vegetarian using Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Crumbles or Boca Veggie Ground Crumbles. The nice thing is, you can use the vegetarian crumbles exactly as you would the ground beef, but be careful…it burns easier.
Do You Have a Good Slow Cooker?
Kids tend to like Sloppy Joes rather plain, meaning without much onion or green pepper. I have found that adults like them a little spicier. It’s easy to get your kids to eat more veggies by hiding some in these sandwiches. Just add carrots and celery, chopped very small, so the kids don’t see them.
Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1/2 onion (medium, chopped fine)
- 1/2 green pepper (optional, chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped fine)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped fine)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown the hamburger and onions.
- Add the carrots, celery and green pepper, if using, and sauté for about 5 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté the mixture.
- Drain the fat off the mixture.
- Return the hamburger mixture to the stove and sprinkle with salt, pepper, chili powder and cayenne.
- Mix to combine.
- Add the ketchup and mustard. If you like a "wetter" sandwich, add more ketchup and mustard. Mix and heat until hot.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Sloppy Joes Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
- Cincinnati Vegetarian Chili
- Portabella Reuben Sandwich
- Swedish Meatloaf
- Mom’s Meatloaf
- Halloumi Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich