Don’s Blueberry Pie. It’s excellent. We like to make it from fresh, right-off-the-bush blueberries. It’s easy. But remember, once you learn how to make a good pie crust, any pie is easy.
Don’s Best Blueberry Pie
Don here. Blueberry Pie season is almost upon us. With the start of the picnic season, everyone is usually up for a good blueberry pie! Of course, in the U.S. we can get good, fresh blueberries just about anytime. But we do like to get them from our local farmers and the local season is usually the month of June.
When we are home on the weekends, we like to get up early on Saturday and go to the farmer’s market. When blueberries are in season locally, we like to get 6 pints. Some to eat and some to make into pie. The original recipe came from Sharon O’Connor’s Menus and Music. Never satisfied with recipes as written, I added my own signature ideas to make this one. Some changes were intentional and some were driven by lack of an ingredient or two.
For thickening my fruit pies I like to use Tapioca rather than just plain flour. Then, my favorite deep dish pie plate is one made by our friend and potter Betsy Krome and it’s only 8 inches not 10 as the original recipe specified. Eight-inch deep dish pies are perfect for our empty-nest home. Hence 5 cups of blueberries was reduced to 4.
And the usual stash of vegetable shortening had somehow disappeared; therefore, butter replaced the shortening in the pie crust. I added lemon juice and cinnamon to the filling just to jazz it up a bit. Voila! Don’s Best Blueberry Pie. Have an idea on how to make blueberry pie differently? Post a comment.
And what’s pie without coffee?
Don’s Best Blueberry Pie Recipe
Don's Best Blueberry Pie
Sweet, sweet blueberry pie
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces or 3/4 cup Crisco
- 4 tablespoon water
- 4 cups fresh organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 - 3 tablespoon cinnamon and sugar mixed
- 1 beaten egg yolk
MAKE THE PIE CRUST
Combine the flour, salt and butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
With the processor running, slowly add the water until the dough forms into a ball. (You may have to stop and scrape the dough from the sides to be sure it is all blended.)
Roll the dough into a ball and divide it in half.
Then on a lightly floured counter, press each half into a disk.
Wrap in plastic separating the two disks with waxed paper and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a suitable bowl combine the blueberries, sugar, Tapioca, lemon juice and cinnamon.
Heat the oven to 450F degrees.
ROLL OUT THE PIE CRUST
- On a lightly floured surface (I use parchment, butcher paper or freezer paper) roll out one pastry disk (recipe above) to a 10-inch round.
Carefully fit it into the deep-dish pie pan.
- Trim the crust allowing for about a 1-inch overhang.
ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- Mound the filling mixture onto the pie shell.
- Roll out the other pie crust disk large enough to cover the top pie with some overhang.
- Trim the top crust, fold the edge under the bottom crust and crimp the two together.
- Cut steam vents in the top crust.
- Brush the top crust with the egg yolk and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top crust.
BAKE & EAT
- Bake at 450F degrees for 10 minutes; then reduce the temperature to 350F degrees and bake for 50 minutes longer.
- Let the pie cool before cutting into individual serving-size pieces.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Don’s Best Blueberry Pie Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Don’s Famous Favorite Pecan Pie
- Crumbly Top Apple Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Libby’s Pumpkin Pie
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie
- Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie
- Sweet Gluten Free Pie Crust