Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie. So. Scrumptious. Easy too.
Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie
Hi. Don here, telling you about a scrumptious Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie I made. Oh, yes, it’s the holiday season. Each Thanksgiving lately we gather at my sister-in-law’s home with family and friends. I get the delightful chore of baking the pies for dessert.
Last year, I added this delicious Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie to the collection. When the pie shell was filled, there was about a cup of filling left that I baked in a ramekin. The grandkids got to enjoy it a day early. Little Brennan (age 3 at the time) started out with a grumpy face and a declaration that he did not like sweet potato pie. After he was convinced to at least have a taste, Brennan ate more than his fair share of the sweet potato ramekin.
Gluten Free Ginger Snap Crust
I purchased a gluten free ginger snap crust for the pie, mostly because Lois eats gluten free, but also for the interesting flavor it brought to the pie. There are only a couple of tablespoons of bourbon in the pie. Not enough that even my wife with the sensitive pallet could notice. Next time I will add a bit more.
A nice pie plate is lovely to use, isn’t it?
Check out the recipe…
Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie Recipe
Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ Cup heavy cream or half and half
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup granulated sugar
- ½ Cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 unbaked pie crust (10", homemade or purchased. I used a Gluten Free Ginger Snap Crust.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes about ½ inch thick slices.
Dress the sweet potatoes very lightly with olive oil and roast in a 350F degree oven until they are soft and begin to brown; 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let them cool to room temperature.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool, place them in a food processor and run for a minute or two until they are smooth.
- Add the melted butter, eggs, bourbon and vanilla while the food processor is running.
- Stop the food processor and scrape down the sides.
- Add the sugars, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Run the processor until all ingredients are combined and the mixture is fluffy.
- Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Fill the pie crust of your choice with the mixture.
- Bake at 450F for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for about another 40 to 50 minutes.
- The pie is done when a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature.
- Serve with whipped cream or just plain for a tasty dessert.
You can do the first 8 steps ahead and refrigerate the filling for several days if you wish.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Pumpkin
- Gluten Free Pie Crust for Sweet Pies
- Don’s Gluten Free Shortbread Pie Crust o
- Traditional Pie Crust
- Libby’s Pumpkin Pie
- Don’s Famous Favorite Pecan Pie
- Louisiana Pecan Pie
- Molasses Pumpkin Pecan Ginger Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?